concerned about my live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noob2saltH20

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got my live rock from a well established tank. It looked good and was cured. However I put it in my tank yesterday and today it has what almost looks like white frosting on some of it and it like other parts are crusting. Is this normal? I'm going to test my water tomorrow but my sg is at about .26 .27 right now

not long. mine goes through cycles. sometimes areas turn a little white and are purple again in a couple of days. It is just part of your cycle.

Ok I've only had my tank running for about aday now. This is my first salt tank so I was freaking out lol. I reallyappreciate your help

just go slow. I know it is exciting but you will enjoy the hobby more if you don't rush things. If your live rock was from a well established tank you may not see a cycle. just test for NH4 the next couple of days if you don't see any you are good.

Ok ill do daily tests I'm gonna wait about 2 weeks to add fish just to be sure. I have a turbo snail in mmy tank rigt now and he seems to be doing ok

like mdanial said, its an exciting hobby. i've have my tank running now for about 4 weeks, fish in for two and I'm loving it. i've already got some coralline aglae growth and halimeda growth on the LR.

my fish are kind of dumb though and only see food that is right in front of them, else they don't eat and i'm not incline to over feed them and kill them with nitrates in the water

Nitrates are not deadly as ammonia and nitrites just keep it a low as you can with PWC's and don't over feed as this could cause and ammonia spike as the uneaten food rots and turns to ammonia. like MD said just take it slow as even the critters in the live rock will blow your mind.

Back
Top Bottom