Concerned about powder blue tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigreefer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently acquired a powder blue. He doesnt seem stressed and is calm in my tank but diesnt want to eat. He is the only fish in so far .. He picks at the rocks fir pods n such. I have no algea in my tank and have been puttying seaweed on a clip in tank but he does not touch it. I guess my ? Is is this normal behavior. Wont eat prepared foods.

How long have you had him? What size tank, water parameters? How long are you set up? How big is the fish?

This will help,with some advice.

Thx and good luck. Sometimes fish don't eat right away. I just put a pink watchman goby in and took him several days, almost a week to,eat. Now he is gobbling mysis and sand like a pro.

He has been in the tank for about 2 weeks. He is about 4-5 in long. The tank is a 220 gal thats been up for about three months. He is the first fish. There are some inverts and corals. Perams are good

Hmm, 2 weeks is a bit long. Do you see him picking at the rocks? Leave the nori on the clip or try some romaine lettuce, they eat that too. I have found something for pick eaters and my mimic tang loves it. It's a caviar max by dr. G's. My Lfs has it in the fridge by the pods. Worth a shot. Your tank is definitely big enough and you said your water is good. Tangs can be very picky sometimes. They are herbivores, so sometimes they won't eat shrimp and other foods aside from algaes. Mine does eat mysis and pretty much everything. Keep trying, but don't add enough food to fowl the water. If you just add a bit the inverts most likely will catch it.

I did hear that garlic can entice to eat, but I have no experience with it. Maybe someone else can chime in??

Good luck!!

Well my guess is that he finally ran out of pods ... He is eating prepared foods now. Thanks again

Glad to hear!!! I guess pods are the food of,choice. Keep trying with the nori, he will get to it.

Back
Top Bottom