Condensation causing a leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Odd question, I know, but for the last couple weeks, I've had a slow stream of water coming from the top rim of my 55 gallon. If I dry it completely, it takes almost a full day to restart. The water level is below the rim at this point, so I don't think it's from the tank water itself, and it's dry at the seams. But the inside edge of the rim stays wet. Y'all think it's condensation? Would running a bead of silicone along the bottom edge of the rim (on the outside of the tank) put a stop to it? And has anyone has this happen?

My spray bar splashes I little bit for more oxygenation but also causes some perspiration on my glass hoods. Wouldn't worry about it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Odd question, I know, but for the last couple weeks, I've had a slow stream of water coming from the top rim of my 55 gallon. If I dry it completely, it takes almost a full day to restart. The water level is below the rim at this point, so I don't think it's from the tank water itself, and it's dry at the seams. But the inside edge of the rim stays wet. Y'all think it's condensation? Would running a bead of silicone along the bottom edge of the rim (on the outside of the tank) put a stop to it? And has anyone has this happen?

Is this a juwel tank by any chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No, it's a standard 55 gallon with hoods. I'm not worried as much about losing tank water, though the reassurances are extremely helpful! I am annoyed about the water on the front of the tank, though. The water is on the harder side so if it dries, it leaves deposits. So... silicone along the bottom of the rim? Think it'll work?

Thanks guys.

No, it's a standard 55 gallon with hoods. I'm not worried as much about losing tank water, though the reassurances are extremely helpful! I am annoyed about the water on the front of the tank, though. The water is on the harder side so if it dries, it leaves deposits. So... silicone along the bottom of the rim? Think it'll work?

Thanks guys.
If it's leaving deposits then it's not condensation. Theres no mineral content with water that's collected from the air.

There are mineral deposits on the rim. Could it be from there?

In other news, the water line dropped below the rim and it stopped leaking, so I dunno. This tank is going to become the sump for the saltwater tank when I get it set up, so I'm just going to get a new one in a few months. Thanks guys. :)

Back
Top Bottom