Condensation !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pritchard

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm concerned that the condensation from my sump is going to damage my cabinet ! I've fitted a vent in each of the doors with 2 pc fans one supplying and one extracting ! With the warmth from the sump light it stays pretty dry but when the light is off it gets a bit damp ! Has anyone else had this issue and how did you rectify it ?

image-1006185895.jpg

The vents

image-1690444124.jpg

The sump

So there is so much evaporation that it's condensing in your stand? What's the temp in your tank? It's got to be pretty hot if that much water is evaporating. For a quick fix, I'd just cover your sump with some plastic. Cut acrylic, or even plastic bags. It's a larger concern that you're losing so much water that way. Fix the cause, not the symptom.

How much flow is in your sump? Is it pretty choppy? Less surface agitation is less evaporation

Temp is stable at 80c and it's not really possible to cover the sump due to the size of my skimmer surface agitation is pretty severe in the two end chambers at each end where the flow from the tank comes in and the skimmer returned out ! Return pump is 3500 ltrs an hour at 1.5m head but this obviously returns to the display so not really an issue !

I spoke to a friend, and her idea was maybe the temperature differential caused by the cool bottom of your tank, under the sand, and the heat of your lamps. However that usually causes condensation on the tank bottom. Have you tried putting some foam near the oulet of your skimmer, just to break up the chop? I was thinking of some kind of thick block of foam.

Also, you could get some thin acrylic, and either cut it or mold it to fit around your skimmer and just over the top of that section of the sump. It wouldn't impact the function of the skimmer as long as the venturi isn't blocked.

Finally, I was able to fine a small clip fan to use in my cabinet, which cools the tank. I imagine you could use a little more air to aid with evaporation, so setting up that small fan, but pointing it at the lights, would fix much of the problem.

If you have a ton of splashing coming from the skimmer then I would say it is splashing, not condensation that is causing water to be all over. I use cheap panty hose to cover the return on my skimmer as I had this problem as well.

If it is condensation, then the above stated will help, the clip on fan especially.

I have a bubble stop basket with two layers of foam and a foam wrap around the discharge side of my skimmer !

image-1138495701.jpg

I have one extract and one supply fan ! Lol I'm running out of options I'll be turning grey soon ! It's not a major problem it's just a bit damp but it worries me it's going to damage the stand !

image-3619310828.jpg

Extract

image-558694909.jpg

Supply

image-3530139075.jpg

My system

Back
Top Bottom