conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was reading where someone put water conditioner in their tank everyday because they said water conditioner only works for a few minutes. I've never heard if that, my tank water is sparkling clear and I only use water conditioner when I clean out my tanks.

Is that a waste of product, or does anyone else do that too?
gail (y)

never heard that before,i only use it with my water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Before I changed over to RO water I used to use tetra Aquasafe conditioner and have done many years in my marine tank's The idea is it neutralises most of the bad things that's in the tapwater ,and yes you're meant to use it every time but only to your top up water or water change and while it's neutralised my understanding of it is it will get filtered out in your system over a short period time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was reading where someone put water conditioner in their tank everyday because they said water conditioner only works for a few minutes. I've never heard if that, my tank water is sparkling clear and I only use water conditioner when I clean out my tanks.

Is that a waste of product, or does anyone else do that too?
gail (y)

I looked around the web and saw one post that had prime is a highly reactive, reducing agent - which has many compounds it can react with in water - so will only stay active in tank water for a few hours.

Not sure what that means for fish-in cycling?

This is separate to the detoxifying effects of prime water conditioner (and others) where compounds which are made safe (eg ammonia), will stay safe for 24 to 48hrs.

This was just on brief reading though.

My take on it?

Water conditioner is a generic term. Let's assume we are talking about a complete conditioner that neutralizes chloramines, heavy metals and binds ammonia, nitrite and nitrate into forms a bio filter can remove.

The manufacturer of Prime recommends it for new water and emergency situations to detoxify a nitrite spike.

I don't know anyone who doses their tank daily?

So yes, I would say daily use is overkill.

Water conditioner is a generic term. Let's assume we are talking about a complete conditioner that neutralizes chloramines, heavy metals and binds ammonia, nitrite and nitrate into forms a bio filter can remove.

The manufacturer of Prime recommends it for new water and emergency situations to detoxify a nitrite spike.

I don't know anyone who doses their tank daily?

So yes, I would say daily use is overkill.

That's what I was thinking as well.

Fish-in cycling was the only one I could think of where daily could make sense?

Back
Top Bottom