Confirm this ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got this cichlid from petco a while ago, maybe March. It was labels as a peacock. Since then it has gotten way darker and is now black. I think it is a pindu, which is a critically endangered species. I would hate for it to die in my tank.

image-3650354111.jpg

image-555143799.jpg

It was out if water for less than two seconds for that pic.

I don't think t was a peacock because it is longer and more sleek than any of the peacocks I've ever seen and it is solid black except the bottom so I don't think it's a blue ahli. I had one of those but as I learned more about them I gave it away. The body shapes were different in the face.

I dont mean to be rude... but people who work at petco. wont even buy fish from their own store. I get people who work at petco. come to me at Reef Connections to buy fish... Not saying never do it, Hell I bought two cichlids from petsmart the other day... love em. If there is a mom and pop shop in your area that is reliable... try them from now on, you most likely wont run into this kinda issue and will be 10 times more happy with your fish keeping. And again not disrespecting petco. but they arnt the best. Trust me you wont regret it. Good luck with your fish. I wish I knew what it was.

I can guarantee without a doubt that it is not a pindu. Those are extremely rare in the hobby and are not going to be found at a big chain

I can guarantee without a doubt that it is not a pindu. Those are extremely rare in the hobby and are not going to be found at a big chain

This is infact a true statement... I dont want to change the topic, but does anyone know why it is that pindus are such a rare find? Is it maybe difficult to breed? Or just not a well sought after fish?

I dont mean to be rude... but people who work at petco. wont even buy fish from their own store. I get people who work at petco. come to me at Reef Connections to buy fish... Not saying never do it, Hell I bought two cichlids from petsmart the other day... love em. If there is a mom and pop shop in your area that is reliable... try them from now on, you most likely wont run into this kinda issue and will be 10 times more happy with your fish keeping. And again not disrespecting petco. but they arnt the best. Trust me you wont regret it. Good luck with your fish. I wish I knew what it was.

I get all of my fish from small self owned stores now. I bought this fish before I found a good lfs.

From the pictures of pindu they look about the same to me. Idk maybe it's a hybrid or something.

Attachments

• image-821390441.jpg
    image-821390441.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 97
This is infact a true statement... I dont want to change the topic, but does anyone know why it is that pindus are such a rare find? Is it maybe difficult to breed? Or just not a well sought after fish?

They are critically endangered in the wild because of pollution but I'm not sure why they aren't common I the hobby.

If this question is unanswered, and you must know what your little guy is... ask your petstore who they get their cichlids from and make a personal phone call to this breeder or via email. Ask the breeder if they DO own Pindus or anything that this could be.

If this question is unanswered, and you must know what your little guy is... ask your petstore who they get their cichlids from and make a personal phone call to this breeder or via email. Ask the breeder if they DO own Pindus or anything that this could be.

I'm not set on knowing what he is. I was just wondering. Thanks got the help everybody! :)

Your fish has vertical banding which is completely absent in pindu. Pindu are simply NOT going to be found at a petco, petsmart, or whatever other big chain store. The fish farms they get their fish from typically are going to specialize in species easy to breed in captivity, or species that are easily collected from the wild. That's why pindu are not more common in the hobby, lack of wild caught specimens to start more captive breeding programs, plus many do not want a black or brown fish unless they truly love fish, most want bright colors or interesting patterns. Like I said, it's not a pindu and I'd be absolutely shocked if it was, dumbfounded really. I'm not the most knowledgeable with African Rift lake cichlids, I know more than most, but I can't ID him, so I wish you luck.

Okay... this is not a pindu... sorry... whatever it is, we have one in our store that I am 100% certain is the same fish as yours. We have never ordered a pindu.

Is this your fish?

Attachments

• image-943745610.jpg
    image-943745610.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 50
  • image-1553565752.jpg
    image-1553565752.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom