Confused about the Marycyn series ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirensong

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
There's Maracyn-One, listed in F&S catalog as simply Maracyn.

Then there's Maracyn-Two, which follows the above in the listing

After that is listed Maracyn-TC.

Finally, there's Maracyn-Plus.

From what little information they give, the first one treats gram positive bacterial infections and fungal diseases.

The second treats internal or external gram negative bacterial infections.

Maracyn-TC is a fast dissolving form of the antibiotic tetracycline, and that listing doesn't say which or what it treats.

Maracyn-Plus seems to be the most powerful, and contains two broad-spectrum antibiotics, sulfadimidine and trimethoprim. It treats fish directly and not the water, and it's supposed to be effective against fin and tail rot, popeye, dropsy, ulcers, and mouth and body fungus.

Now here is where the information is lacking:

Which one of these Maracyns is safe for treating scaleless fish like dojos, and if full dosages are unsafe for them, would half-dosages or less be safer?

How does one know if a bacterial infection is gram positive or gram negative? Is there a test that can determine that, and is it available to the home aquarist?

For purposes of being prepared, I wish to have these meds on hand just in case, since I don't live close to my LFS and can't just run in and get some in an emergency.

But I don't know which one to get, and which one would be least harmful to my dojos if I needed to treat one of them (even at a reduced dosage).

Can anyone here address these questions for me?

Thanks.

-- sirensong

Back
Top Bottom