Confused on Ammonia and testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigge_al

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if I need to test for everything each time I test or is there a certain thing to test for then start testing other things when that one shows up.

Also I am confused over the water change thing.

Two things I read
Does tank to 4ppm of ammonia
when ammonia reaches .25 or .50 do PWC:confused:
If good bacteria needs ammonia to grow why take it out.
do u want ammonia or not

So I am thinking the 4ppm is for a fishless cycle
and the PWC when it reaches .25 to .50 is for a fish-in cycle

And since I introduced Stability and media from established tanks should I not be seeing some reading.
Ammo-0 Nitrate-0 Nitrite-0

I answered in capitals.

Bigge_al said:
I was wondering if I need to test for everything each time I test or is there a certain thing to test for then start testing other things when that one shows up.
I WOULD TEST EVERYTHING EACH TIME
Also I am confused over the water change thing.

Two things I read
Does tank to 4ppm of ammonia THIS IS FOR FISHLESS
when ammonia reaches .25 or .50 do THIS IS FOR FISH IN. PWC:confused:
If good bacteria needs ammonia to grow why take it out.
do u want ammonia or not
YES YOU NEED AMMONIA TO CYCLE BUT IF YOU HAVE FISH YOU NEED IT TO BE .25ppm OR UNDER BECAUSE TO MUCH CAN HURT/KILL YOUR FISH
So I am thinking the 4ppm is for a fishless cycle
and the PWC when it reaches .25 to .50 is for a fish-in cycle

And since I introduced Stability and media from established tanks should I not be seeing some reading.
Ammo-0 Nitrate-0 Nitrite-0

ARE YOU DOING A FISHLESS OR FISH IN?

Currently my tank is without fish but I plan to add fish tomorrow night. 5 Danos

I started a log last night and I will keep updating.

Currently my tank is without fish but I plan to add fish tomorrow night. 5 Danos

What do you use to dechlorinate when you do water changes? Prime actually detoxifies ammonia for atleast 18-24 hours after use, if you see a high Total Ammonia level, you can dose with prime and convert the Free ammonia to ionized Ammonia, which is non-toxic to fish...this allows you to keep your Ammonia levels up to help develop nitrofying bacteria, and keep you fish safe...i'd suggest using the amount of prime recommended for a full tank, every 12hrs just to be safe, the API test will still read high ammonia levels....but it won't hurt your fish

If you use Prime every 12hrs you can completely ignore your Ammonia levels and ONLY test for Nitrites and Nitrates and only have to do a water change if nitrites go above .25ppm and to clean waste

Bigge_al said:

I started a log last night and I will keep updating.

Ok so you are doing a fish in cycle with seeded media. You will have to keep ammonia and nitrites under 0.25ppm. Test the water morning and night and do PWC accordingly. It is a lot of hard work but it's possible. I've done 3 fish in cycles (2 with seeded media). Have you seen the write ups on fish in cycling?

yes read them that may be why I got confused read both fish-in and fishless.
With the seeded material should I have seen something in my test this morning.

Bigge_al said:
yes read them that may be why I got confused read both fish-in and fishless.
With the seeded material should I have seen something in my test this morning.

No because there is no ammonia source. How long have you had the seeded media? The BB need something to consume (ammonia, nitrite) to stay alive.

I also added Prime and Stabilty to the tank. Is it possible that when I add the fish that I will see excellent result from starter media. The media I got came from a pet store that has all there tanks (about 50 to 60) running on one filter and I got that used filter.

Also could I loss the bacteria in the tank without an ammonia source. Tanks has been running about 22 hours. I did drop in 5 or 6 flakes of food about 8 hours ago. Should I test the tank or what until I get fish in it to see if ammonia if present. It was a 0 this morning.

Bigge_al said:
I also added Prime and Stabilty to the tank. Is it possible that when I add the fish that I will see excellent result from starter media. The media I got came from a pet store that has all there tanks (about 50 to 60) running on one filter and I got that used filter.

So you have a filter that has been running on an established tank? If so, you might not even see any spikes in ammonia or nitrite. Keep a close eye on your parameters for a few weeks and once everything is stable you can add more fish slowly.

Bigge_al said:
Also could I loss the bacteria in the tank without an ammonia source. Tanks has been running about 22 hours. I did drop in 5 or 6 flakes of food about 8 hours ago. Should I test the tank or what until I get fish in it to see if ammonia if present. It was a 0 this morning.

You won't loose them in 22 hours :) it takes days I think. You can test it but a few flakes of food wont cause much ammonia at all. It sounds like your right to add a few fish.

Thanks, Do you think 5 glofish danos will be to many or should I go with one of my other choices of fish. 3 dalmation mollies, 3 mickey mouse platys, 5 neon tetras, or 1 male betta.

Bigge_al said:
Thanks, Do you think 5 glofish danos will be to many or should I go with one of my other choices of fish. 3 dalmation mollies, 3 mickey mouse platys, 5 neon tetras, or 1 male betta.

Is the tank a 30g? The 5 danios should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom