Confused on cichlid tank readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthew_raw

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just tested my cichlid tank and these are the results can anyone see anything wrong?
High ph - 7.4
NitrAte- 5.0
NitrIte- 0
Ammonia- 0.25
Ph-6.4

I am using an api master test kit

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

How long has you aquarium been up and running? Added new cichlids to your aquarium lately?

PH is pretty low. Try adding 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of baking soda to get it up a bit, but remember to dissolve it completely in tank water before adding it into your aquarium. As asked above, did you add any new fish lately? It'd be one reason why you have an ammonia reading.

No new fish and its a new tank just set up but i used all old media rocks and sand from a different tank theres 5 yellow labs 2 pinky ones and a pleco looking thimg that was in the cichlid section at m lfs. The results for today are
High range ph 7.4
Ph 7.6
NitrIte 0
NitrAte 5.0
Ammonia 0

I am using seachem alkaling regualtor at 1 level tea spoon a day i added one yesterday and one today. Heres a few pics.

ynyqavuz.jpg
mu5amage.jpg
ugeryty8.jpg

PH is pretty low. Try adding 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of baking soda to get it up a bit, but remember to dissolve it completely in tank water before adding it into your aquarium. As asked above, did you add any new fish lately? It'd be one reason why you have an ammonia reading.

No please don't do this. Altering your ph can kill your fish. Nothing is wrong with your ph. I'm positive your fish have adjusted to the ph level.

OP have you changed anything around or added anything new?
Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? They may be traces in there. Ammo at .25 isn't much to worry about but have you changed filter pads or done anything that may have disturbed you beneficial bacteria?

I tested the water today and posted the results above theres o ppm of ammonia and nope not cleaned anything the test results for today are looking better and can anyone id the fish in the last 2 pics?

I tested the water today and posted the results above theres o ppm of ammonia and nope not cleaned anything the test results for today are looking better and can anyone id the fish in the last 2 pics?

That's a feather fin in pic 2 and yellow labs in pic 3

In the last pic there are 3 of my yellow labs but i dont know what the one on the right is its a pinky colour just abit bigger than my yellow labs

No please don't do this. Altering your ph can kill your fish. Nothing is wrong with your ph. I'm positive your fish have adjusted to the ph level.

It's a new tank, there's still room for improvement and if the ph is heightened slowly overtime now instead of later, it'll be beneficial for the cichlids. His very first reading was 6.4 and on the high pH readings it's 7.4, so if it is at 7 or lower, it'd still recommend getting the pH up slowly while the fish is still getting used to the new tank.

Thats what i plan on doing getting an optimal ph and maintaining it the seachem says it can buffer to 7.6 would this be a good ph for normal behavior and breeding? I am mixing the seachem in a bucket with a powerhead and tank water.

In the last pic there are 3 of my yellow labs but i dont know what the one on the right is its a pinky colour just abit bigger than my yellow labs

I'm not sure bud, I'm a bit color blind so they all look the same to me

Okay thanks anyway ill have a look next time i go to the lfs. Should i put a bag of crushed coral into the filter? Would that be more effective than the seachem?

It's a new tank, there's still room for improvement and if the ph is heightened slowly overtime now instead of later, it'll be beneficial for the cichlids. His very first reading was 6.4 and on the high pH readings it's 7.4, so if it is at 7 or lower, it'd still recommend getting the pH up slowly while the fish is still getting used to the new tank.

Thats what i plan on doing getting an optimal ph and maintaining it the seachem says it can buffer to 7.6 would this be a good ph for normal behavior and breeding? I am mixing the seachem in a bucket with a powerhead and tank water.

Look, I'm telling yall now that altering your ph is bad news. Things you can expect are well dead fish. A stable ph is 100% better then a swinging ph. Getting a ph up and holding it at that spot is very tough. This will result in a ph crash killing your stock more then likely or having to recycle your tank because the crash killed all your beneficial bacteria and there are plenty of others who will agree 100%

Ill double check now and let you know shoud i do ph and high range?

Look, I'm telling yall now that altering your ph is bad news. Things you can expect are well dead fish. A stable ph is 100% better then a swinging ph. Getting a ph up and holding it at that spot is very tough. This will result in a ph crash killing your stock more then likely or having to recycle your tank because the crash killed all your beneficial bacteria and there are plenty of others who will agree 100%

Which is why I asked what the pH is from the tap, depending on those readings, it'll be known whether his ph crashed during the cycle of the new tank or some other cause behind this. Also, the effort behind keeping the pH at that level is over exaggerated. During water changes, if you you indeed do the baking soda method, you just need to pre-dissolve it in the water you're about to add to the tank. It's a little more work, but at least the higher pH will make your fish happier.

Limestone also helps buffer the pH and has a good look if you ever decide to re-scape the tank. And yeah do both, your first and 2nd readings differed quite a bit on the regular pH scale.

Readings from tap are
Ph 6.0
High range 7.4
9usy6a4y.jpg

Back
Top Bottom