confused with my 10gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janeth0185

Aquarium Advice Regular
well i have gone thru 5 different types of goldfishes since i have bought my 10 gallon tank this may.and today my last fish which was a black moor,just died( i only had 2 goldfish in the tank at a time, never had more than 2).for the past weeks i been trying to lower my ammonia levels but it still hasnt gone down to 0.its between .5 and 3.0 ppm i been doin 25% water changes and about 2 weeks ago i bought a gravel vacuum.but 2 weeks ago also i treated the tank with some ich medicine but once the fish that had the ich died i went back to doin the 25% water changes and started using the gravel vacuum. i tested my tank yesterday for ammonia and its still hasnt gone down and im wondering if that just killed my fish.i dont wanna add any more fish till the ammonia lowers to 0 but what can i do to lower the ammonia levels quickly.my 3 yr old son keeps asking about the fish that just died , thats the only reason i wanna try to add fish faster but not until ammonia levels normalize.and would it be better to not buy no more goldfish and try out adding tropical fish instead ( since goldfish from what i been told develope more waste).and does it really matter where fish are bought from( just cuz i been told that fish from walmart and petco,etc,are fishes that arent wel taken care of,but dont know if this true,tho thats the only places i been buying fish from). im just so frustrated that ive gone thru 5 fish in 3 months and i been trying to do my best to keep these fishes alive and i feel like i just dont know what to do no more:eek::confused::banghead::fish1:

Did you cycle the tank? If not, here is a link on how to cycle:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

You are right, I wouldn't put any more goldfish in the tank. One goldfish needs 20 gallons. You could do some nice things with tropical fish in a 10 gallon.:D

Best of luck on your tank!

Edit: I wouldn't buy any fish from walmart. I have stopped buying from there because their fish are rarely healthy. Cant say anything about PetCo as I don't have one in my area.

Back
Top Bottom