confusing royal gramma with bicolor dottyback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,

I called my LFS and asked if they had any royal gramma's in and they said yes, one. So i sent my sister to pick it up since I didn't have time.

I know I should've picked up it up but..

They sold her a bicolor dottyback instead of a royal gramma.

My question is they sold it to her for $24. I thought that was kind of high even for a royal gramma. But do you think it was an honest mistake? How much do bicolor dottybacks go for at your LFS? liveaquaria sells them for $11

Im just wondering if I can get store credit

It really depends on the store. Petco sells them for $11, but some places sell them for up to $20. I think that $24 is a little much and it's bad that they gave you the wrong fish so hopefully it's a really healthy bicolor dottyback.

Yeah he looks good. Strong colors, nothing visually wrong with him. He's scoping out the rocks and ate some pellets this morning.

I'll probably just chalk it up to experience.. never have someone else get something for me, lol.

I was kinda upset earlier because I wanted the royal gramma.. but I'm not going to harass the pet store for like $10 in credit or so

Wish I could have given you mine...for FREE!

I had a dottieback and the bastard was an absolute tyrant. I had to take him back to my LFS store.

He was doing nothing but terrorizing the fish in my DT...and to think I nurtured that little punk for 3 weeks in my QT....I also had to take EVERY live rock out of my tank to catch the punk.

GOOD RIDDANCE! ! !

My Royal Gramma has been pretty docile since i introduced him to the tank. For the first hour or so my Blue Damsel chased him around a bit but since then they have gotten along just fine.

The easiest way i have been able to determine the difference is every Royal Gramma I have seen the colored sections somewhat fade into each other. Every BiColor Dottie that I have seen the color separation looks almost perfect! As if a professional painter taped off half of the fish and painted it. No color bleeds, no fading, just perfection. I have seen many to make this distinction... But not all.. so this may not be the case... Just my input.

My LFS sells the Gramma's for about 14 bucks and the dottie's usually go for i think 18 or so.

Back
Top Bottom