Consistent reading with a Deep Six

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdwire

Aquarium Advice Regular
Still setting up a 55G FOwLR and have been having trouble getting consistent reading from my Deep Six. Is there some kind of trick to using this device? I would like to try to get three consistent reading before I would say that measurement is correct.

My procedure is this:
1) fill device slowly
2)set on table for couple of minutes
3) see that reading is way off (sometimes high sometimes low)
4) bang on it
5) usually levels off to somewhere near where I would expect but not with a consistent reading

I have never been able to get three consistent readings!

Chances are there are very small air bubbles on the swing arm that are causing the problem. This is especially a problem with newer hydrometers. If it is within .001 between the three readings, I would say you are OK. You might also try soaking the hydrometer in FW for 24 hours.

Did you mean to say freshwater Kevin? cause on the instructions it say it must be soaked in Saltwater for 24 hrs. And yes I think it's prob bubbles.

You should rinse it out with freshwater after each use.

Brian

I've seen the deep six hydros in the LFS but kinda balked at them really. Is there really a difference in the SG in the first six inches of the tank? I use a $2 dip SG to measure and never really seen a problem with my SG.

If there is a difference in the SG in the first few inches of water... what causes it? (just out of curiosity)

Back
Top Bottom