containing frog bit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am about to get some frogbit for my 29 gallon medium light tank. My primary reasons are to add some visual interest to the top half of my tank, to provide security for my chili rasboras and to help prevent algae.

I just upgraded light to a finnex planted+, but started out with a single T8. I have mostly low-light plants in the tank right now, but plan to add some upper low to medium light plants.

My plan is to contain the frogbit to a certain quadrant of the tank and to have primarily low-light plants (anubias) under its shade.

My questions are:
1) Will the anubias still be okay under the shade of frog bit?

2) What is the best way to contain the frog bit (or any floaters) to confined areas?

Yes anubias is actually well suited to living in the shade and will do fine. The best way to contain the frog it is to just keep it thinned out to the side you want to keep it and if it's not staying divert some flow to force it to where you want it.

Thanks for the ideas. I have 2 HOBs, so I can't divert my flow besides sliding them around a bit (which could work).

So you are saying the plants would have a tendency to stay towards a more thinned area of the group as a whole? That is something I would have never thought of.

I have an internal filter and some duckweed. I like it but I got tired of it always ending up in the intake and I used a couple suction cups and some air tubing. I use it to shade off a corner a little.

I took two top fin suction cups that are meant to route air tubing. the hole in the suction cup for the line clips was small enough to get the end of the airtubing with a little bit of fiddling.

I stretched this between walls on my tank and now I don't end up with hardly any in the intake. as the water evaporates I have to lower it a little bit so it doesn't float underneath the line

Attachments

• DSC08493.jpg
    DSC08493.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom