Contradicting LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erickC.

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm new to the fish game so I rely heavily on my LFS. Where I bought my first cichlids told me the fish I was getting were from Lake Victoria (a Yellow Lab. & demosani) and to stick to those fish exclusively because of their aggression. When I went back for more I bought a bumble bee and two orange zebras. All purchased from the "Lake Victoria" tanks. I was adding a bunch of new rocks to my tank so I decided it was a chance to add new fish also. I was looking at 2 cobalts and 2 acei but I asked what lake they came from because I was told by the first LFS not to mix. They told me Malawi and asked what kind I had. I told him and he said they were also Malawi. I was tired of asking for advise so I bought them anyway and they have all been living in my 55gal happily ever after. Just for piece of mind....which store was right and does it all really matter?

IMO in a 55 gal, you should keep the Labs, Demasoni, and maybe the red zebras. You can do 10 labs and 10 dems. Or 5 Labs, 5 zebras, 10 dems. Over filter like crazy. Use rocks for hiding spots and no plants. Take the Bumble bee back. BTW your fish are all malawi. Also you need to start reading like crazy here and everywhere. Is your tank cycled?

Does it matter? Yes and No. Its not typically suggested to cross lakes bacause of behavior and water chemistry preferences. Some experienced cichlid keepers do cross lakes succesfully, but they have experience to work from.
Labs are indeed from Malawi as are demasoni.
It sounds like you have quite a bit going on in there right now, so I hope it works out for you. I do not know a ton about those particular breeds though, but I have been advised to only stock about 2-3 rift lake species in a 55g tank due to size constraints and possible aggression.

Thanks. I've been getting a ton of info here and I tried to read as much as possible. You also answered my next question. 55gal = 20 fish. Why no love for the Bumble Bee?

Is your tank and water brand new or has it had fish in it. You better really do some reading fast or your fish will die. You must be cycled. Honestly I suggest you take all your fish back until you learn a bit more here. If you dont decide to do that then you need to read this.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/common-newbie-pitfalls-67468.html
Its a long thread...But you will need to buy a test kit, heater if you dont already,sechem prime, and some type of syphon. I strongly urge you to take the fish back or find a friend who can hold them for you. Then you can cycle your tank with ammonia in about a month

Bought the test kit. PH is at 8.2, ammonia is at 0.25ppm, nitIte is at 0ppm and nitrAte is at 40ppm

erickC. said:
Bought the test kit. PH is at 8.2, ammonia is at 0.25ppm, nitIte is at 0ppm and nitrAte is at 40ppm

Ok so your going to want to do a PWC when the ammonia or nitrite is .25ppm or over. Test every day. Since you've got nitrate you very close to the end (unless your tap water has nitrates. Can you test it?)

Ok so your going to want to do a PWC when the ammonia or nitrite is .25ppm or over. Test every day. Since you've got nitrate you very close to the end (unless your tap water has nitrates. Can you test it?)

I sure will test it

. I read you other post. I think your mostly cycled after a month. Your pretty lucky.. I hope you changed the water some during the month, if your fish look good thats a good sign. You will have some aggression problems as your fish mature. You may have to rehome some and reduce stock. What kind of filtration do you have? Also if your not using prime, thats all you should use. At .25 ppm you should change 50%. Also be careful, i my expierence the API kits will show a HINT of green but you should consider that a 0 reading. Since your nitrites a 0 and you have climbing nitrates that indicates end cycle.

Cool, I think you will need more power when your fish grow. Im a big advocate of the Diy sumps. Cheap and very effective. If you want to spend some more dough and get a very nice filter look at the fluvals. Also craigslist is a good place to look for used stuff. Look at this thread. Keep up the reading your on the right track
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/good-inexpensive-second-filter-184953.html

Thanks I appreciate the guidance. Speaking of Craigslist I just made a deal with some one and got a 55, 45, 40, 10. I'm picking them up tomorrow, and will start CYCLING them shortly after. lol You got me thinking about the compatability of my fish. So instead of taking some back I just found new places to put them.

Thanks I appreciate the guidance. Speaking of Craigslist I just made a deal with some one and got a 55, 45, 40, 10. I'm picking them up tomorrow, and will start CYCLING them shortly after. lol You got me thinking about the compatability of my fish. So instead of taking some back I just found new places to put them.

That 10 gal would make a very good sump. Do alot of research. Most african cichlids need more room. Also look into fishless cycling. It will keep you from having your current problems. That is a lot of work if you setting up all thoes tanks! Good luck! Im not an expert on what fish goes with what aside from Mbuna. I know some shellies and other cichlids do well in smaller tanks.

Back
Top Bottom