Controlling Xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
awhile back I got some xenia (small frag) and now its all over the place.
:p
This isnt the nice kind that pulses, but the giant xenia type. (Didnt know it at the time when I bought it).

This stuff grows like weeds and id like to have it gone. :) I cant remove the rocks its on, as I have a crocea clam attached to the rock as well. :-(
Anything that eats xenias only?
Matt

If you figure out how to control it let me know. Between my pulsing xenia and my GSPs I may not have anything left soon.

Does the clam really have it's foot holding solid on the rock? I think there must be a way to move him, but I know you have to be careful not to damage the foot or you can lose the clam.

I've heard of people using Kalk Paste to zap Xenia, maybe try looking that up.

If you figure out how to control it let me know. Between my pulsing xenia and my GSPs I may not have anything left soon.

Does the clam really have it's foot holding solid on the rock? I think there must be a way to move him, but I know you have to be careful not to damage the foot or you can lose the clam.

I've heard of people using Kalk Paste to zap Xenia, maybe try looking that up.

Yeap, that clam is stuck really well on its rock. :-(
My GSP also are taking over their surrounding rocks on the other side of the tank. Good thing they are on the other end. I put them on the sand bed, but they somehow managed to find their way to a rock nearby and spread all over it.

Dang xenias and GSP! I was looking at my xenias and they seem to be receding somewhat now. I looked closely and there is a baby clam or muscle there now. Its green and about 1cm long. Kinda funny to see it sitting near the big crocea. I wonder if it irritated the xenias somehow?

Matt

Why not just frag the GSP's and the Xenia.. only on a large scale. Get some fragging tools, and instead of just trimming down the coral, just peel it off of the rock, glass, etc..

Try grabbing some of the heavier stalks of the xenia. With practice, I think you can learn to "peel" better and thin it out. Grab it low and try pulling. Squeeze hard. Maybe almost use the fingernail to pinch while you pull.

I sometimes siphon mine out with the airline when I do water changes....accidentally (mine isn't out of control, yet). Might take some larger diameter airline depending on how big your Xenia is...and it might not work for you, but I know I can count on that for control in the future!

This stuff is such a pain! HARD to pull off...I just gave up. (They are slick!)
They are anchored down too much to suck out. I think I will leave them be until they get too close to the clam and then I may just hacksaw (As a last resort) the rock in half to save the clam.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom