Controlling your quarantine tank for ICH.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soh15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would it not be a good idea to always have your quarantine tank set up at 86f with salt in it. That way you are always treating and not wasting time in case your new fish has it in the early stages?

I suppose that would work, as long as at the end of your quarantine period you slowly "ramped down" the temp (and the salt content) until it was at the temp of your main tank. Of course, if the fish was in a tank at 76 F in the pet store and comes home to a QT tank in your house at 86 F, that's gonna be quite a shock as well.

So I'm not entirely sold on the idea. :?

This is a good question, so thanks for bringing it up. In my experience, every fish I have ever bought developed ich in quarrantine. Every time, I successfully treated it with high temp alone (no salt added). So a few monmths ago, I asked myself this very question, and decided to quarrantine my fish at 87oF (no salt) whether or not they showed signs of ich.

I'm pleased to say that I haven't had a single case of ich in quarrantine since I started doing this - and I've quarrantined at least four separate groups of fish since then. I figure that the elevated temp can't posibly cause any harm, so why no.

John Paul brings up a good point about temperature shock. I float the bag to acclimate new arrivals to the elevated QT temp. When I transfer the fish from quarrantine, I drain 1/2 the water in the QT tank, turn off the heater, and gradually fill the QT tank with water from my show tank above - that way, the fish are slowly acclimated to temperature, pH, and nitrates.

Good advice. I'll keep that process in mind next time I move a fish from QT to main tank.

I reckon if you tend to get ich in your quarrantine tank, then this is a good way to handle all new arrivals.

My personal experiences are things like fin rot and columnaris in quarrantine, so now my Q-tank gets a regular dose of Melafix and Pimafix no matter what comes through there. That has really seemed to solve that issue for me.

This is an interesting concept, though, because over time it is tempting to start treating chronic problems before they crop up, and another benefit to quarrantine.

Back
Top Bottom