Converting 60 to FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are my new arrivals :) they came so early the doorbell woke me up lol so far I'm satisfied with my first LA purchase :)

image-1210689873.jpg

They're both really, really small. The flame angel was supposed to be a medium, but I'm convicted its a small, he's like 1.25" lol. The bf is probably 1.75" and they're both enjoying some seaweed strips :)

Here are my new arrivals :) they came so early the doorbell woke me up lol so far I'm satisfied with my first LA purchase :)

They're both really, really small. The flame angel was supposed to be a medium, but I'm convicted its a small, he's like 1.25" lol. The bf is probably 1.75" and they're both enjoying some seaweed strips :)

Awesome! Congrats!

Those are two awesome fish!

Awesome! Congrats!

Those are two awesome fish!

So far they look 20x healthier than the angels and butterflies I see in the LFS. no heavy breathing or scratching

So far they look 20x healthier than the angels and butterflies I see in the LFS. no heavy breathing or scratching

That's great! I don't tend to have the best luck with some LFS around here either unfortunately.

That's great! I don't tend to have the best luck with some LFS around here either unfortunately.

Yeah :( the fish I've ordered online have done a lot better than the ones from in the store.

I saw the butterfly twitch, I know flukes are very common in butterflies and Angels, but it's nothing a couple rounds of prazi can't handle :)

The butterfly Is picking on the angel!! lol I never thought it would happen that way, I thought the angel would terrorize the butterfly

I know that the really tiny blue tangs require multiple daily feedings to survive, but should I feed the new fish a few times a day since they're so young?

Keep in mind with a tiny fish they dont need a boatload of food, they have tiny stomachs. lol If you feed sparingly I dont see why you couldnt feed twice a day. Since he is so tiny make sure you feed some greens, like algae sheets and frozen cubes with seaweed or greens. You'll just need a little piece of seaweed since he;s so tiny but I love watching my tangs rip the seaweed off the clip. lol The seaweed will keep him healthy and happy and more resistant to illness.

Keep in mind with a tiny fish they dont need a boatload of food, they have tiny stomachs. lol If you feed sparingly I dont see why you couldnt feed twice a day. Since he is so tiny make sure you feed some greens, like algae sheets and frozen cubes with seaweed or greens. You'll just need a little piece of seaweed since he;s so tiny but I love watching my tangs rip the seaweed off the clip. lol The seaweed will keep him healthy and happy and more resistant to illness.

Thanks! I gave them emerald entree which they liked and I put a seaweed clip in that they both enjoyed :) I don't know why smaller fish are so much cuter, but these things are adorable when they eat lol

I have an inch long sailfin blenny and he is a total blast to watch eat. I just love the tiny fishes. lol Brings out the parent in all of us I think, that we are raising and taking care of a little baby fish.

I have an inch long sailfin blenny and he is a total blast to watch eat. I just love the tiny fishes. lol Brings out the parent in all of us I think, that we are raising and taking care of a little baby fish.

Haha I almost wish they would stay small

FINALLY, diatoms are lightening up. It's looking good now. The raccoon (who I named Nigel lol) eats food right from my fingers. The angel (named Angie, my mom complained I was sexist with my fish lol) eats the food that falls :) both are parasite free so far and have good dark brown poops lol

Glad to hear the diatoms are fading. We all told ya! lol

Glad angie and nigel are doing well!

lol I know, I know. I thought it would take longer. Hopefully they don't return as I slowly increase the photoperiod

You may get other algae so go slow with increasing the lighting period. DIatoms are usually just in a new tank and you shouldnt see them again. Just be aware of how long the lights are on and how much you feed and you should avoid any issues with green algae or bubble algae. :)

You may get other algae so go slow with increasing the lighting period. DIatoms are usually just in a new tank and you shouldnt see them again. Just be aware of how long the lights are on and how much you feed and you should avoid any issues with green algae or bubble algae. :)

Oh god, in my nano is was a mess with green and bubble algae. All because I was stupid and used ich attack. I'm really strict about rinsing frozen food and stuff, although my phosphates are still .25, but the test is turning more yellow since i added chemi pure elite again

Carey, what do you feed your fish? I know i talked to you about this, but it pisses me off lol. I'm convinced I'm doing something wrong with this longnose butterfly. I've only seen one other one with the coloration mine has, and I think I might be feeding him wrong. But I feed so much variety!!!! Ugh. He's a pic that shows his crappy color (and thin appearance-I'm working on that) but I think he's missing something, he loves eating pods (and I have none of those lol) maybe that's it. But he's a happy fish with great personality, but his color isn't what this fish should look like.

image-3421657110.jpg

image-3305242935.jpg

If anyone else has ideas please share them!!

I feed:
Frozen mussels
Aqua treasures mysis shrimp
Hikari mysis
Rods food
Emerald entree
Marine cuisine

I've been soaking most of his food in Kent Zoe as well.

Maybe you could try a smaller food, like baby brine. It isnt the most nutritious but it might get him started on eating the bigger food more regularly.

Maybe you could try a smaller food, like baby brine. It isnt the most nutritious but it might get him started on eating the bigger food more regularly.

He takes anything I give him, and breaks up the larger pieces. When I had pods, he would suck them right up and they were kinda big. You could actually hear the crunch as he ate them lol. I'm gonna keep going with this, and see what happens. It's just bugging me lol

There was an article in a fish magazine that just came today about copper band butterflies and how they don't do we'll. but it talked about how most come into the stores very thin. The guy said even when feeding a normal amount, the fish Can still lost weight In a display tank because of all the flow and energy they burn. So, you have to feed him a ton to get him to gain weight.

So I guess I'll try feeding them a crap ton of food lol

Back
Top Bottom