Converting a Gravel tank to Planted: The Process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wicked_chicken

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering what the process is for converting a gravel only tank to a planted substrate tank. This is a project for down the road, but I'm curious to get feelers out there so I can start my research.

The aquarium is a 26 gallon bowfront with ~30 pounds of gravel (I like a thick base to work with). I know the lighting I have is totally inadequate for growing plants, but right now my primary concern is how to work the substrate change with live fish.

Thoughts?:thanks:

Recently just done exactly that. It's perfectly safe.

VERY BASICALLY;
Empty everything from tank into a holding container, fish filter heater everything. Take out the water, take out the gravel. Clean everything in tank water. Put planting substrate in, gravel on top, decor back including plants. Leave it to settle for hour or so untill it's clear or a little cloudy only, then start putting everything back, fish last.

When you say wash everything in tank water, are you referring to the new substrate? I've been thinking about using pool filter sand, but I'm not sure what to use under that.

I mean like decor and stuff before you put it back. Sand I would wash normally in a bucket, sieve it, get out the dust and make sure it's clean. I don't know if sand would allow any oxygen or mulm to reach the bottom. If you have any digging fish they are likely to mix the substrate also. Hopefully someone who has sand and planting sub will chime in. Underneath you could use anything like Eco-complete or fluorite, but it's worth consulting the planted forum on best type of substrate for the plants you want to keep. I chose eco-complete. If its ok to use both then put the planting sub in first then layer the sand on top and use planting tweezers so not to mix the layers when planting.

Alright, so I think I'll probably go with something like Eco-Complete. My concern now is primarily lighting.

The aquarium is a 26 gallon Aqueon Bowfront, which measures 24x15x21. I'm going to have to get a custom hood made to replace the one that I have now, but that's not really an issue, just a logistical PITA.

Anyway, this is the light setup I've been drawn to:

Aquatic Life

It's a 4 lamp, programmable with lunar LED. I love the programmable feature and lunar lights, but I'm unsure what size I should get: the 20"?

I use pool filter sand in my planted tanks. It's cheap and I absolutely love it. I did add root tabs and noticed a difference,but my plants also did fine without the root tabs.

Edit: you can have live plants in gravel as well, you don't necessarily have to change the substrate.

ashleynicole said:
I use pool filter sand in my planted tanks. It's cheap and I absolutely love it. I did add root tabs and noticed a difference,but my plants also did fine without the root tabs.

Edit: you can have live plants in gravel as well, you don't necessarily have to change the substrate.

+1
you don't need specialty plant substrates to grow plants. You can grow plants in your plain gravel with root tabs if you wish.

I made a trip down to Salt Lake City and visited a highly reviewed LFS I'd never heard of. The guy there was extremely helpful, and I ended up with what I think was a better (read: less overkill) lighting solution for this particular tank. I'm hoping to make the transfer this weekend. :) Now to start drawing up ideas!

But seriously there are a few species you dont nees special lights for, or fertilizer or co2 or any of that junk

I am curious: I'd really like to do a rocky tank, but want to plant it as well. I was thinking about doing caves with some sort of moss, as I think that'd look cool. Will moss grow on artificial decorations? If so, what kind of moss should I look into?

wicked_chicken said:
I am curious: I'd really like to do a rocky tank, but want to plant it as well. I was thinking about doing caves with some sort of moss, as I think that'd look cool. Will moss grow on artificial decorations? If so, what kind of moss should I look into?

Moss will grow on anything! :) java fern and anubias are both low light plants. They both grow attaching to wood and rocks.

No worries about low light levels! The new hood is running 2 24w bulbs! Is Java moss my only option?

wicked_chicken said:
No worries about low light levels! The new hood is running 2 24w bulbs! Is Java moss my only option?

No. Java fern and anubias will grow in med lighting and sometimes high. Their are lots of other kinds of mosses as well not just java.

I have a live planted 55 gal with only a sand and gravel mix substrate. I agree with Mumma, you do not necessarily need dirt for your plants to do well. Lighting, liquid ferts, and consistent PWC will do just fine.

Attachments

• download (3).jpg
    download (3).jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 151
  • download (5).jpg
    download (5).jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 140
So I transfered everything out of the tank, washed the new substrate, added it after clearing the old gravel out. I went with florite black. I washed it as best I could, but my water is still super murky. Do I let it sit? Do I run my filters?

Back
Top Bottom