Converting a Gravel tank to Planted: The Process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wicked_chicken said:
So I transfered everything out of the tank, washed the new substrate, added it after clearing the old gravel out. I went with florite black. I washed it as best I could, but my water is still super murky. Do I let it sit? Do I run my filters?

Let it sit for a bit. Then run you filters to clear the rest. If you've got some floss put that in your filter to catch all the fine particles.

Added floss to the filter, as well as the wood and rock to the tank. I also planted. Now it's just waiting for the murk to clear. :(

Not much to look at... yet.

2011-12-17_11-33-54_889.jpg

So, silly question: How do you go about vacuuming something like this? Fish poop is much easier to spot now...

wicked_chicken said:
So, silly question: How do you go about vacuuming something like this? Fish poop is much easier to spot now...

Just hover the vac over the sand. I can never get all of the waist but it stays clean enough.

abrahamavelar said:
there is a few ways to doit u could get the siphon about 1/8-1/4 inch from the sand or u could do this http://youtu.be/HBjc5RIvXFw

there is another video on youtube where a dude stirs the sand with his finger before he gravel vacs, dont do that that guy is retarded

. Why would you think that guy is retarded. I say youre retarded. How does that make you feel. Stirring the sand loosens up the detritus

abrahamavelar said:
there is another video on youtube where a dude stirs the sand with his finger before he gravel vacs, dont do that that guy is retarded

Name calling is not nice

and yes you should stir sand if you have a sand substrate to prevent pockets of anaerobic bacteria forming. Personally I have malaysian trumpet snails who burrow keep my sand well sifted.

abrahamavelar said:
cories do that too, but he says to stir up the sand to get the waste from under the sand, u dont have that issue with sand

Cories only get the surface. I can look under the tank and see malaysian trumpet snails all the way to the bottom..

ashleynicole said:
Name calling is not nice

and yes you should stir sand if you have a sand substrate to prevent pockets of anaerobic bacteria forming. Personally I have malaysian trumpet snails who burrow keep my sand well sifted.

Best way is not stir it up at all you can run a fork through it :)

richpowell1989 said:
Best way is not stir it up at all you can run a fork through it :)

A fork sounds like a neat idea! I like the snails because they do the work for me... Haha And I don't have to worry about it..

it will clear up, the sand is just settling. Give it an hour and fire it up. You don't want to run the filters right away, to ensure sand does not get in the impeller.

I'll try the fork idea, although some of the detritus is in hard to reach places. :( Maybe I should have gone with the gravel instead of the sand (although, sand looks really, really nice!)

I'll try the fork idea, although some of the detritus is in hard to reach places. :( Maybe I should have gone with the gravel instead of the sand (although, sand looks really, really nice!)

do you have live plants? The waist is like fertilizer for the live plants, honestly I don't really worry too much a out cleaning my sand when I do water changes. Like I said, I have the snails, and I hover the vac over the top to pick up some of the detritus, but I don't really worry about all of it.

I do have plants, but it's all new and hasn't filled out yet. Snails eat poop? Or am I misunderstanding?

I do have plants, but it's all new and hasn't filled out yet. Snails eat poop? Or am I misunderstanding?
no, snails don't eat poop, but poop that gets caught under the sand will decompose and be great fertilizer for the plants! I know its not pretty to see on top of the sand, which is why I said you can hover the gravel vac over the top of the sand to get any lose detritus.

Also, the point of churning up the sand is to aerate the sand and make sure no pockets of anaerobic bacteria form... not necessarily to remove detritus and waist. ;)

Back
Top Bottom