Converting an up and running tank to planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahh don't worry about the tabs. See how they go without it. What liquid ferts did you get?

It says Microbe.lift grow plants "green". haha its the only brand they sold at LFS. I think its produced for their owning chain maidenhead aquatics. Ingr:

N 0,10%
K2O 0,10%
Ca 0,002%
Mg 0,002%
S 0,006%
B 0,003%
Cl 0,009%
Co 0,006%
Cu 0,001%
Fe 0,009%
Mn 0,002%
Mo 0,007%
Na 0.013%
Zn 0,002%

I think this is the product: https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/microbe-lift-plant-fertiliser-473ml

It says Microbe.lift grow plants "green". haha its the only brand they sold at LFS. I think its produced for their owning chain maidenhead aquatics. Ingr:

N 0,10%

K2O 0,10%

Ca 0,002%

Mg 0,002%

S 0,006%

B 0,003%

Cl 0,009%

Co 0,006%

Cu 0,001%

Fe 0,009%

Mn 0,002%

Mo 0,007%

Na 0.013%

Zn 0,002%

I think this is the product: https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/microbe-lift-plant-fertiliser-473ml

Interesting make up there. I've read on many sites that macro's mixed with micro's (kno3 etc mixed with FE etc) counter act each other and end up making the micro nutrients completely useless as they mix together and make a different compound.

Keep an eye on it. You may or may not run into deficiencies.

Interesting make up there. I've read on many sites that macro's mixed with micro's (kno3 etc mixed with FE etc) counter act each other and end up making the micro nutrients completely useless as they mix together and make a different compound.

Keep an eye on it. You may or may not run into deficiencies.

I've read this too although I think the main issue is the interaction between phosphates and iron. No phosphates in that fertiliser. They leave phosphates out purposely because the manufacturers know most people believe phosphates cause algae but what they are actually doing is starving the plants of one of the major macro nutrients.

That should be more than enough light. How deep is that tank though?

The picture of rooted crypt could be separated. If you pull them apart at the base you may find you will have lots more little plantlet's there.

Thanks all!

I might order the products you recommended online as after all the shop I got the plants from ended up giving me the ferts for free due to the mix up with the root tabs ... I actually think they are quite a good IFS otherwise... heard them refuse to sell some cute little rams to someone because they were gonna put them in with something really inappropriate.

I Can't remember how deep i'll double check shortly.

Thanks for the tip about the crypt :-D

I've read this too although I think the main issue is the interaction between phosphates and iron. No phosphates in that fertiliser. They leave phosphates out purposely because the manufacturers know most people believe phosphates cause algae but what they are actually doing is starving the plants of one of the major macro nutrients.

That should be more than enough light. How deep is that tank though?

The picture of rooted crypt could be separated. If you pull them apart at the base you may find you will have lots more little plantlet's there.

ok i'm confused...

the liquid ferts i have looked at so far don't contain phosphates. the root tabs i've seen so far dont either (i think)...

i know too much phosphates / nitrates can cause algae issues...but if your plants need the phosphates where do they get them from? my fish flakes seem to have phosphates in them, so will the plants get all they need from the fish poo? :confused:

ok i'm confused...

the liquid ferts i have looked at so far don't contain phosphates. the root tabs i've seen so far dont either (i think)...

i know too much phosphates / nitrates can cause algae issues...but if your plants need the phosphates where do they get them from? my fish flakes seem to have phosphates in them, so will the plants get all they need from the fish poo? :confused:

Perhaps they can but this will depend on many factors. I've been adding more fertilisers than the plants can use up for a while now. I'm using a dosing system called Estimative index or EI.

https://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=dosing-with-dry-salts

Also some good info here from those that are sceptical about Excess nutrients causing algae. Key word here is CAUSE.[emoji846]

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/why-dont-nutrients-cause-algae.3217/

The belief that phosphates causes algae in planted freshwater setups stems from eutrophication of natural water ways via farm run off and sewage etc.

Please read both threads they will help a lot.

thanks for the links, i'll give them a read tomorrow over breakfast :D

I'm a big preacher that excess phosphates do NOT cause algae. I've been dosing 4x the recommended phosphates for a long time now with no bad effect. In fact it actually got rid of my green spot algae on the glass.

Just thought I'd update you on progress so far... well nothing has died

I've also converted my little 20L to a planted shrimp tank (currently only 3 residents )

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 31
Just thought I'd update you on progress so far... well nothing has died

I've also converted my little 20L to a planted shrimp tank (currently only 3 residents )

Looks very clean and healthy. Is that using easycarbo?

yeah thanks for the tip!

:)

No probs just remember you WILL need to up the dose as the plants grow larger.

I'm not sure if you are already aware but the Amazon sword plant on the right will change its leaf structure so if you start seeing new leaves that look different it's normal. Once you get 3-4 of the newer leaves you'll want to run your thumb right down the stem and peel the leaf off around the base of the root structure.

No probs just remember you WILL need to up the dose as the plants grow larger.

I'm not sure if you are already aware but the Amazon sword plant on the right will change its leaf structure so if you start seeing new leaves that look different it's normal. Once you get 3-4 of the newer leaves you'll want to run your thumb right down the stem and peel the leaf off around the base of the root structure.

ah no i wasn't aware - that's cool. I thought it didn't look like the swords I'd googled but was told this was because it's been in a v. shallow tank for a while.

do you mean to take away the old leaves (those big oval ones its got now) once its got 3-4 of the new leaves ?

Back
Top Bottom