converting eclipse 3 to brackish tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
What all needs to be swapped out, we have new gravel, and salt. What all do I need to change out, replace, or whatever? We are wanting to house a green spot puffer in their temporarily, until we can get the 29 gallon setup for him. what test kit do I need to test perameters, salt or freshwater?

Thank you in advance,

Bear

we already have the 29, it was the first "big" tank we ever bought. The "problem" is that the 29 is in use at the moment, stocked as a safe haven for our mango pleco, as well as a semi-aggressive tank. To take that tank down, would require some fish going to new homes. We do eventually have plans to upgrade to a 75 gallon, just a matter of when, at which point we can setup the 29 as a brackish tank. I was questioning about turning the 3 into one, to allow us a good learning curve, and a chance to better our skills before going to a larger tank. If the general census is to avoid this plan, I can relate, but some better reasons would help me understand the rationale of it. I do agree, it is a small tank, but why not use it to house 1 puffer in it's younger stage? As he grows older, he will be moved into a more comfortable home, so as not to totally stress him. I am in no way trying to argue, but to better understand. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated,

Bear

My reasons for waiting would be that while you'd buy the puffer small, it can reach 6 inches. I am not sure of their growth rate, but what if you can't upgrade in the near future. The puffer would be stunted in a 3g. Also puffers are quite sensitive to water conditions and they produce alot of waste. The smaller the tank the more unstable water conditions are and I can imagine that a 3-4in puffer would quickly foul the water of a 3g tank. This could then lead to disease and possibly the death of your puffer.

Others can chime in....:D

Back
Top Bottom