Convict tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralphie126

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are some good convict tankmates? so far i have a rainbow shark

Nah I don't have any alge in my current tank ..... Yea I no about the sale... That's where I'm gonna get it but I might get a bow front

In a 40 breeder I'd probably just stick with a pair of convicts - maybe a school of 6 or so really fast fish (that can get out of the way of the convicts when breeding and cut down the fry numbers by picking some off). I used to like having the plain cheap Australian rainbowfish with convicts and a lot of other central american cichlids.

IvanMike said:
In a 40 breeder I'd probably just stick with a pair of convicts - maybe a school of 6 or so really fast fish (that can get out of the way of the convicts when breeding and cut down the fry numbers by picking some off). I used to like having the plain cheap Australian rainbowfish with convicts and a lot of other central american cichlids.

Possibly giant danios to.

Possibly giant danios to.
yeah Giant danios would be perfect. Others on the list would be Buenos Aries tetras or possibly even rosy barbs. In any event, I'd stick to one species and get 6-12 of them with a convict pair.

People (newbies especially) often feel limited by just getting a couple of species for a tank when there are so many pretty fish for sale, but I can tell you that the tank is far more interesting when you stick to 2-3 species and keep them in numbers that allow their natural behavior to show. Heck, I'd put a breeding pair of convicts in a 125 with about 20 of any of those - would be quite the interesting tank.

IvanMike said:
yeah Giant danios would be perfect. Others on the list would be Buenos Aries tetras or possibly even rosy barbs. In any event, I'd stick to one species and get 6-12 of them with a convict pair.

People (newbies especially) often feel limited by just getting a couple of species for a tank when there are so many pretty fish for sale, but I can tell you that the tank is far more interesting when you stick to 2-3 species and keep them in numbers that allow their natural behavior to show. Heck, I'd put a breeding pair of convicts in a 125 with about 20 of any of those - would be quite the interesting tank.

Agreed (fifteen characters)

I dont really like the look of those... what about a breeding pair or just some gouramis?.... the tank will have 2 female convicts, a male, a tiger barb, a rainbow shark and maybe some gouramias

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom