Convicts bred help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you all so much for the advice and ya I am running a DIY air sponge filter

You dont have to remove them I bred convicts for over three years now and have a breeding pair right now they will not eat there baby's

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How did it go with your fry? I just unexpectantly had convict fry. Now i am up against the same problem. I have 4 other convicts in there will they kill them? Should i eventually take them out?

If you are wanting to keep the fry take them out once there free swimming. If you don't really care leave them. Survival of the fittest. They are honestly quiet worthless and not really worth the hassle of raising them to selling age. I have a couple pairs of breeding cons and i never save the fry but I always manage to end up with a few left over.

The answer would be what plans do you have for the fry, if you want them or you have a home for them then you are better to take them out asap 7-14 days approx or at the latest as soon as the parents start to leave them or they are wondering to far or mainly starting to get picked off by other tank mates

I have bred convicts a few times over the years and actually have around 60 fry in one of our tanks at the min and would totaly agree with a lot of comments here about how they protect there young, my fully grown gt and jd along with other tank mates will not go near my convicts why they have fry and the smaller females can be even more agressive than the males sometimes, this is my pair of convictsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393204342.802810.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393204363.394643.jpg

The answer would be what plans do you have for the fry, if you want them or you have a home for them then you are better to take them out asap 7-14 days approx or at the latest as soon as the parents start to leave them or they are wondering to far or mainly starting to get picked off by other tank mates

I have bred convicts a few times over the years and actually have around 60 fry in one of our tanks at the min and would totaly agree with a lot of comments here about how they protect there young, my fully grown gt and jd along with other tank mates will not go near my convicts why they have fry and the smaller females can be even more agressive than the males sometimes, this is my pair of convictsView attachment 224454View attachment 224455

I have JD (almost fully grown I think) that would eat my convicts. I don't have them in the same tank... But even if they are spawning. My jacks are so much bigger they would eat them! And definitely the fry!

I have a spare tank. I think I will set it up simply because this is my first set of convict fry. I will wait about a week. Someone said use them for food for my other fish I don't have the heart for that, I will try to give them away eventually. I do think any other fry will have to fight for survival. I won't keep doing this.

Thanks for your help all!

Back
Top Bottom