coral dying/cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duddi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my tank set up for 5 months now. I have a couple pollyp's that came with the live rock. I came home yesterday and my water was cloudy. All parameters are good. I have been doing regular water changes and haven't added or taken anything away. I thought that maybe something died in the tank but I can't find anything.

All of my livestock is fine except my corals are dying. They have been doing good for 5 months now. Any idea what is wrong?

I don't know too much about corals, but we will definitely need to know what your water parameters are, in able to help.

After reading about your info, I dont know what it could be but your butterfly fish could be the problem . Maybe nipping at your corals. What type corals do you have? Can you post you water test results?

Sorry, my info is now up to date. Butterfly passed away about a month ago. Not sure what type of coral. It is just two polyp type corals. I don't have a reef, they were on some live rock that I got when I set up my tank. My concern is that something is wrong with the water since the corals that have been looking good are now dying. My parameters are ammonia-0 nitrite-0 nitrate-10 ph-8.2 salinity-1.023 temp-80.
I've never had cloudy water before, until yesterday. What would make my water go cloudy all the sudden with no signs that it is about to happen?

Can't seem to figure out how to post a picture. Its saying that the image must be less than 1024 pixels. Not sure how to change that on the camera. I'll try and figure it out and post photos.

Aquarium is still cloudy. All animals are fine except for the small coral.

sounds like something set off a cycle . What kind of lights do you have wattage ect on this system ... I hve a feeling that your corals were toast and that set off a chain of events I would recommend a couple largish water changes 25-30 gallons I think that it sounds like you are having a cycle of sorts we need perameters like ammonia nitrAte nitrIte and ph ect .. also check your test kit to be sure that you did not contaminate it and that the tubes are clean otherwise you may get faulty readings

My parameters are posted above. I'm going to do a water change tommorrow. I think my coral is dead. I only have (2) 15 watt lights which I know are not enough, but this coral has been good and growing for 5 months now and all the sudden its dead :( .
Try to post photos tommorrow.

well if you no a coral is dead you have to get it out asap! thats probly it. open the hood to your tank or what ever and smell, does it stink?? if it does you need to make sure your skimmer is work , if you dont have one get one its the only way to pull junk out. far as the coral looking good , well ya they will open and look great but what it is doing there is starving for light so they open up as much as they can to ubsorb any nutrient from your lighting and from what you say about your light wattage--- well you no the problem then. not enogh light there going to die. run some chercoal for about 5 days that should clear it up. if you have a way with you filtration take a nylon and fil it with charcoal and rinse it out and put it in your filtration some were. you need to list in your info filtration your useing and such with lights and all. well be able to help you better.

There are two photos in my gallery now. As you will see in the picture the coral is not big at all, but the polyp is usually bright green and fully open.
The water does not stink and everything is doing fine except for the polyp and the water clarity. I am performing a 20% water change now and I will see what happens. All parameters are still good as of this morning.
Will get some charcoal and try it also. I am running carbon now will that be a problem running the two together.

They are the same thing so you`ll be Ok. That`s a good idea,double GAC and PWC. That should take care of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom