Coral id assistance.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jlsardina

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got some rock a while back and this coral was TINY. Now it's about 3-3.5 inches in diameter. I'm not really sure what it is. Almost seems like a plate coral that's on a branch. It's blue and green with a little bit of orange around the mouth. It also has longer tentacles like a plate. What is it???

Attachments

• image-3536313236.jpg
    image-3536313236.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2097222332.jpg
    image-2097222332.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 76
Your right, it really does look like a plate coral. Does it move freely or is it definitely encrusted in the rock?

needmorecowbell said:
Your right, it really does look like a plate coral. Does it move freely or is it definitely encrusted in the rock?

It has a stem that's firmly planted on the rock. The actual disk is about 3/4 of an inch off the rock and is very flexible- just like when a plate "puffs" up when happy. I really wanna say its a plate- but have never heard of one doing well at the top of a tank mounted to a rock with a stem

I'm pretty sure it's not an acan. I have several different ones in my tank. It has tentacles and a very evident mouth

Any chance you can take a pic with daylights on as well? Does look like a fungia though from the pattern.

image-1325307774.jpg

Here's a day time pic. Like I said before- its on a stem that's almost an inch long

Definitely looks like a plate. But, it was my understanding only plate coral adults develop the stem and that juveniles don't have a stem.

AquaRick said:
Definitely looks like a plate. But, it was my understanding only plate coral adults develop the stem and that juveniles don't have a stem.

image-47175417.jpg

Pretty sure you can see the stem here. I have plates bigger than this in the sand with no stem. So how can this be?

Well I did some research online and found that the juveniles are the once that have the stem. Many people said that they will detach on their own and where the stem remains, another plate coral would grow!

Just saw this. That is exactly what it is. How long have you had the rock. I LFS near me has a similar thing happening. They have a piece of rock that pretty much make fungia regulary, and in large quanity. The owner told me that the one he has puts out 1-2 plates each month. Last I saw it was covered in tiny corals.

jgraz said:
Just saw this. That is exactly what it is. How long have you had the rock. I LFS near me has a similar thing happening. They have a piece of rock that pretty much make fungia regulary, and in large quanity. The owner told me that the one he has puts out 1-2 plates each month. Last I saw it was covered in tiny corals.

Thanks for the confirmation! I have had the rock about 2 months in my tank. It was the last piece I put in. I look forward to seeing more pop up then. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom