Coral & Inverts in a BioCube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
You are definitely going to need more lighting. Very few corals will survive if any. Yes that lighting will be OK for some corals. You should be able to a good selection of soft and LPS corals.

I agree, I would definitley get the nanotuners kit for that. That's pretty expensive, but without ditching the entire hood and going with another fixture there really isn't a way to get more light.

Like Melosu said you will have a good selection of corals to choose from then. Zoos, soft corals, and LPS corals will be fine under that lighting.

HTH

I hate to be a pest...I get 2 additional bulbs from that kit.

The bulb selection is:

JBJ 10000K Daylight
Nanocustomst 50/50- 10K/Actinic Blue
Nanocustoms Actinic Blue

Which bulbs (or combination) should I get.

Are the Lunar Blue, (3) Moon Glow LED lights sufficient, or should I get the moonlight upgrade as well

I would like to get some corals and maybe an anenome

If it were my tank I'd go with two of the 50/50 bulbs. I think the 3 moonlights would be plenty.

IMO, you could get the corals already mentioned (zoos, soft, LPS)...and MAYBE a BTA (bubble tip anemone).

Cool..I'm just waiting for an answer from nanocustoms as to wether the kit works on a 2007 model tank..The ad specifies 2006.

P.S. A Buble Tip was what I was considering

If you go through this upgrade the BTA should do well in your tank, BUT I would not add it to the tank until the tank has been up and running for at least 8 months. Anemones do not like poor or shifting water conditions, an established tank is a must for them to survive!

Thanks for the info, I will be sure to make it one of the last things I add. Should I hold off on the clown I planed on getting until the anenome is added?

I understand that there is no guarantee the clown will host, but I'm not sure if it increases the odds if you introduce the anenome first or the clown first.

Go ahead and add the clown. They dont have to have an anenome. As Ziggy mentioned wait several months before you add the anenome. They really need a mature tank.

OK..I added the lighting upgrade. I now have:

(1) 36W 10000K Bulb
(3) 36W Actinic Bulbs
(3) moonglow LED's (Blue)

I also got an extra 10000K bulb that I can swap with one of the actinic's in case 3 was too many.

Any suggestions on how I should set up the schedule of the lights? Each bulb is on a separate timer.

Use either 2 10k/2 actinic or 3 10k/1 actinic. The 10k spectrum is what will provide optimal health for your corals. Actinics are mainly just for aesthetics and dawn/dusk effects. If each bulb is on a timer, a common lighting schedule example would be:

(On) Actinic 1 - 12:15pm
(On) Actinic 2 - 12:30pm
(On) 10k 1 - 1pm
(On) 10k 2 - 1:15pm

(Off) 10k 1 - 11pm
(Off) 10k 2 - 11:15pm
(Off) Actinic 1 - 11:45pm
(Off) Actinic 2 - 12 (midnight)

Otherwise, you can have the actinics come on at the same time half hour before 10k's (same time). Whatever you find easiest.

Really!?! Someone told me that the actinics were what the corals need. 8O

Thats unnerving. It was nanocustoms that told me that. Maybe the guy misunderstood me.

Swap out one of the actinics for the 10K. The spectrum that the 10k produces is where the energy comes from that the corals need. 10k will promote good coral growth and the actinics will make everything look nice.

I'm running 14Ks on my tank (dual 175w MH with 220w VHO actinics) The lower the "K" the better coral growth you are going to see.

Keep in mind that it is a good idea to change your bulbs out every 8 months or so. They will shift their spectrum and you will see algae problems.

HTHs

Swap out one of the actinics for the 10K. The spectrum that the 10k produces is where the energy comes from that the corals need. 10k will promote good coral growth and the actinics will make everything look nice.

I'm running 14Ks on my tank (dual 175w MH with 220w VHO actinics) The lower the "K" the better coral growth you are going to see.

Keep in mind that it is a good idea to change your bulbs out every 8 months or so. They will shift their spectrum and you will see algae problems.

HTHs

I guess it depends on what you are concerned about. I have looked at them too but I haven't added one to my tank. There are pros and cons to them. They will get rid of parasites and things but they will also kill good things in the tank. It's more a personal decision then anything. I like the natural filtration and pods and things as well as phyto in my tank so I have been holding off.

Do some research and keep asking about them, others with them on their tanks can give you better info then I can.

IME they are a waste of money unless you are trying to eliminate water born algaes and/or "green water." Since their usefulness is bound by what is taken from the water column, most parasites are just retarded in numbers at best, but not necessarily killed off. On the plus side, uv sterilizers will kill unwanted bacteria, but then again how can you honestly tell the difference between unwanted and wanted bacteria, which the latter is also killed along with the pods, worms, etc that Ziggy mentioned. At best, I can only see their usefulness to breeders who would like to kill any unwanted micro/organisms as a failsafe to their brood stocks.

Back
Top Bottom