Coral suggestions for 40 gal w/ 110 watts PC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HotSauce

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have 36" 110w PC fixture. it came with 1 55w white and 1 55w actinic. ive had my 40 gal. FOWLR tank for 2 months now and i plan to add some corals.

1) What corals should i get for the amount of light that i have? i dont plan to upgrade my lighting.
2) Can i use a 65w or 92w bulb even if the ballast is only rated 110 watts?

thanks

1) What corals should i get for the amount of light that i have? i dont plan to upgrade my lighting.

Most softies would do ok in that. Leathers, xenia, mushrooms. If you place the coral high up in the water column then maybe some LPS like a hammer or torch.

2) Can i use a 65w or 92w bulb even if the ballast is only rated 110 watts?

You could only use 1 96W bulb with a 110W ballast.

What are the dimentions of this 40 gal tank?

If the tank is much deeper than say 18" then all the corals will need to be within the top half of the water column.

Regretfully Ihave to give a resounding no for aneneomes. Given your lighting it would not fair well for them.

You should be able to use the 65watt bulbs. Depending on your ballast, they may not be any brighter than the 55's though.

the ballast ultimately determines the wattage not the bulbs. if the ballast could only drive each bulb to 55w, the other 10w is potential.

Back
Top Bottom