Light cycle suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone! It's been awhile. I have two Kessil 160aw led light fixtures. What would be the most ideal light times for my tank and sump to retain healthy corals, yet avoid algae as much as possible as well?

55 gal tank
20 gal sump
2 ocellaris clowns, bangai cardinal, coral beauty, green chromis, and a few hermit crabs.
3 rose bubble tip anemones (2 med, 1 small), 3 montipora (1 large, 2 small), and a galaxea (1 med).

I do about 25% wc every two weeks (using rodi and coral pro reef salt)
Skimmer is a 110 reef octopus
And a two chamber gfo reactor (1st chamber running gfo and 2nd running carbon)

I currently have it set for 12hrs tank and 12hrs sump.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My bad, I meant Kessil A360W led lights

I would do a hour blue in AM raising them up to full over the hour than start the whites raising them slowly till you find the sweet spot run them maybe 8 hrs than back to blue a hour for a total of 12hrs . I like to enjoy the tank as much as possible
you can run them less if you like , I like the 12hr cycle I run the sump lights at night after main tank is put to bed . to help keep ph stay stable and grow macro's plus it keeps the eye focused at the main tank rather than be disturbed with light in sump during day

My lights come on at 8:00 AM and go off at 8:00PM. I try to make it happen what usually happens in nature.

I like the 10-12 hour range as well. With blues coming on first either a half hour to hour before and after the white turn on/off. I've experimented with the sump light staying on 24/7 vs only being on after the DT lights are off and can definitely see a difference in which algae grew in my refugium. 24/7 grew nasty slime algae and other unpleasant things while an on/off cycle grew Chaeto better for me. My tank seems to be in a pretty good rhythm with the sump light coming on only overnight...but I'm not 100% sure if what I think is better DT algae control is contributed to this light cycle or to my upgraded DIY skimmer.

If you are growing a macro algae in the sump I feel like it should have its own light and darkness schedule for best growth and health.

Hi there
For A reef tank
I found the simplest way to do it is to have your lights on 12 hours a day ramp up your lights slowly for the first four hours starting off with the blues for the first hour and then gradually introduce the whites until they reach their peak you require and then hold there for four hours and then start to run back down again the next four hours with the whites going off within the first three hours leaving what's left of the blues to come down on their own for the last hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. That's what I'll do. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom