coraline algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's red slime not coraline. You prolly have an overabundance of nutrients in your system (nitrates and phosphates). Scrub it off and do a pwc and test your parameters. If your nitrate is above 20 and your phosphate is above 1 do another water change every 2 days until it is back to a good level. Also think about what could be the cause of nutrient buildup. Could be lack of water changes, nutrients in your tap water if your not using rodi water, or high phosphates from overfeeding.

All my levels are good. Most likley from over feeding. I acquired a tang that was pretty much to his bones do I was doing a double feeding Twice a week.

Thanks for help.

Also is this stuff bad for a tank? Will it spread?

It can grow fast and grow over corals and suffocate them. From what your saying you prolly have some phosphates in your system. I would get a phos test kit if you don't have one and definetly do a pwc with rodi water. If that doesnt bring it down you could try phoszorb or Kent's phosphate sponge. Personally I use the Kent in my phos reactor with great results

It also grows in low flow areas, or dead spots.

Siphon it off - do your water changes - and maybe adjust the flow on your sand bed

Back
Top Bottom