coraline alge turning white, advice on lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beefandpork

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi L

My coralline alge is starting to turn white on the sides of the glass, I am sure is the upgrade of bulbs. I have 4 t5 bulbs, I change out the 2 actinic bulbs to ATI Aquablue bulbs (which gives par) i believe is the cause. Now I have 2 ATI Aquablue bulbs and 2 ATI Aquablue special 12000k. Is this too much for LPS tank?

Is it necessary to change back the bulbs back or at least add one actinic or time will take care of itself.

My cal is 460 a little high becasue of oceanic salt.
Alk is 8
Nitrate is less then 10.

thanks

I believe that calcium loving critters get upset when your alkalinity swings. Your alkalinity may be at a safe level, but does it remain at 8dKH consistantly?

Also, if you change your bulbs to something with much more PAR, then you need to acclimate the tank. Put some window screen over the top to shade the tank for a week or so.

Matt

Not familiar with those bulbs but it almost sounds like you are running 2 super actinic and 2 50/50 bulbs like I run on my VHO`s. They should be OK. I had my LFS tell me one time to only change half your lights at one time and do the other half a few weeks later. Dont know if that`s sound advice but that`s what I do.

thanks guys

What would be the ideal ALK and Cal?
for a LPS tank.

Your light is fine just give your coralline a chance to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom