Coralline Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailfin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gal tank with Live Rock and a DSB. I have had to move this tank to our new house in October. Since then I have not had any new growth of Coralline Algae. I have added some man made rock that was cured for about 3 months. But even before I added the rock I have had no new growth? Does Coralline Algae go somewhat dormant and then regrow?
I am using 2 48" Normal fluorescent Bulbs for Lighting. THe same lighting I had before and had good Coralline growth?
Also I found some 500 watt lighting systems Ebay and wanted to know what anyone thought about mounting two of these above a saltwater tank? And if they were the correct spectrum?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=46314&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1

Thanks

what kinda bulbs are you using in the lights you have now? On teh growth note. I ahd live rock in my tank for a year before it started really becoming active so

well after looking at that light on ebay it says that it is only 6500k that will make a yellow light. not a blue or white. you might want to look in to getting some 03 they will make the coralline algae grow.

kidkameleon3 said:
what kinda bulbs are you using in the lights you have now? On teh growth note. I ahd live rock in my tank for a year before it started really becoming active so
I have 1 6500k Trichromatic and 1 50% 50% 6000k daylight, 7100k Actinic 03 BLue both by Coralife.

ya thats what I got in mine, I wonder if me running 4x48" 2 of each of those would be enough for most easy stuff? Sure beat buying some expensive fixture only other thing it will be ok at is growing pot,lol

Actually I believe coraline grows faster with less lighting. On my 110g I have 2x250 MH and 2x54 T-5 and coraline grows the fasted on overhanges and areas that are not directly under the lights.

Back
Top Bottom