Coralline lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
40w NO....granted growth will be fairly slow with this little lighting.

...it seems to benefit most from actinic light bands.

I must admit that I'm not entirely sure what "normal output" means -- but if that is the same as the basic strip lights typically used on fresh water tanks, I would then say (IME) that they are not enough. I had them when I got my first batch of LR from liverocks.com. It took about 5-6 months, but most of the coralline that came with the rocks simpy faded away. I then put 4x65 PC on, (it's a 55 gal), and it then all came back with a vengence :)

Matt

Let me rephrase the question. How many watts MH lights do I need to run to support the 900lbs of rock in the tank without losing coralline color etc. No fish are currently in tank. just shrimp, crabs, etc that hitch hiked on the rock. I have added nothing to the tank except what came in on the rock.

W/ 900lbs of LR, all the MH you've got! Seriously though, how much MH lighting do you have? And, just curious, is this tank going to be a full blown reef? It does not take much to sustain coralline algae.

Back
Top Bottom