Corel in a Brackish Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hrmmmmm. veeeeeery interesting. thanks for the link. A little research is in order. I would think that it is possible with certain species of coral if acclimated very carefully and over time to Ph and salinity changes. I have no idea what type of corals but I would assume probably some softies such as hardy leathers and shrooms. I have no idea if stoneys of any kind would work. Lighting may be the key issue though. More intense lighting would be a must i would think.

R-

Would I have to set-up a small marine tank to do the aclimatizing - then slowly add fresh water to make the switch-over? I would assume that the set up featured would probably have gotten the corals from a natural source vs the aclimatization method. I dunno. Whatya think? The photo doesn't look good enough to identify the specific species, but I'll throw it up on the saltwater identification forum and see what they have to say about it.

Why not give the Shedd Aquarium a buzz and ask em? Most aquariums would LOVE to talk about what they do LOL

Yeah totally, I fired them off an email straight off. I also emailed the webmaster of the site. So hopefully I'll hear back in the next coupla days. Who knows though - thats why I'm taking it to the people.

Slims said:
Check out this link:

http://www.aquahobby.org/tanks/tank0108a.html

The last picture in this article features coral and plants together in a Brackish setup. Has anyone else seen or heard of this. I would love to keep coral in my Brackish tank. How possible is this?

Mono argentus are SW, they begin their lives in FW and spend the majority of their lives in full SW. That tank at the shedd aquarium is full SW. I think it's actually a mangrove estuary exhibit rather than a brackish tank. Mangroves are one of the few plants/trees that can survive SW conditions. Many people use them in Reef tank refugiums.

coral will not survive anything short of 1.019+

Back
Top Bottom