Cory cat tank size discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would like to start a dialogue about the recommended tank sizes for cory cats. There are those that follow along with live aquaria and say a 30g is minimum. Others say a 20g is fine and more say a 10g is fine for them. Others say a 10g is good only for a pygmy cory.

So, what tank size do you people believe to be the minimum for them and why do you think this is an acceptable minimum size versus the other tank sizes?

Following. I keep 4 peppered cories in a planted 20g with Caribsea sand substrate. I'm new in general. Had them about 6 months now. They "seem happy", school together, active, eating and growing well. I wish I had gotten at least a 20 long in retrospect. I've learned quickly bigger is usually better in this hobby (as far as square footage goes). Eventually, I want a 40b I can move them to and get several more.

Good idea! This topic had come up so much lately (with 3-5 large cories in a 10, or worse situations).

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Good idea! This topic had come up so much lately (with 3-5 large cories in a 10, or worse situations).

Thats exactly the reason I bring this up! Why is it that 3 to 5 cory cats in a 10g is bad?

☆Assuming you're a responsible fish keeper☆
I'd do 5-2" (panda, Tri-lineus) in a 10. I keep 5 tri, 5 habrosus in a 20 tall, no problemo.. with corys...substrate and water cleanliness is major.. Jagged substrate and nasty water will seriously limit your options..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Footprint is more important than tank capacity. You could stock them in a 20l the same as you would a 29, same footprint. The minimum for someone new to fishkeeping vs the minimum for a seasoned cory breeder are worlds apart.

Thats exactly the reason I bring this up! Why is it that 3 to 5 cory cats in a 10g is bad?

It's not, but corys have appreciable bioload. Putting 5 corys in a 10 gallon will limit what else you can put in there. Of course, if you're just doing corys in that tank, it's less of an issue.

Doing pygmy corys in a 10 gallon will give one A LOT more flexibility with regard to both stocking and WCs.

When they are the large ones and the tank is overstocked with other fish too.

Not many of the people with cory issues in small tanks have had the cories alone.

Back
Top Bottom