Cory Cat with a Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steampunk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Some other folks have given me responses along the lines of popeye and a tumor. I want to get the opinions of a few more folk.

This cory is 7 years old, lived through a lot of stuff and she has kept on ticking. The current water quality is decent, nitrates being only slightly on the scale, and the water is a little soft. The lump appeared first, and has now spread to the eye, causing it to pop out.

The pictures aren't very clear, but they are good enough to show what is going on there, I think.

Attachments

• 100_0835.jpg
    100_0835.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_0836.jpg
    100_0836.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_0837.jpg
    100_0837.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_0838.jpg
    100_0838.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_0839.jpg
    100_0839.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 68
Welcome to AA! It looks to be a tumor to me. Is the fish still eating? How long has the lump been there? What are the tankmates? How often do you do water changes and how much each time?

As far as I can tell, the cory is swimming around and going about life as normal, eating and all that. The only tankmate is a black skirted tetra. Lump has been there two weeks, been trying to treat it with antibacterial pellets (which the cory has been eating from what I can see). It spread to the eye this weekend.

I do water changes every month, usually 25% of the water, though just the other day I did a 50% change and did a substrate vacuum.

Looks like a tumor to me as well. Zagz is looking for a typical reason for the problem, but I have another suggestion to put forward.

You say he is 7 years old, the typical lifespan of a Cory is captivity is 5 to 10. As any living creature gets older, it's body grows weaker and susceptible to bacteria and virus that younger ones would be able to dismiss with their immune system. Based on the picture, I think your cory may be beyond helping with medication, you may want to consider euthanasia. Of course the decision is up to you. If you do decide to go that route, check out the sticky at the top of this forum. It is very useful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom