Cory CATastrophe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i thought, after 2 months, it was time for some more corys. i picked up another cory for my school a week ago. it died the next morning. i waited 2 weeks and got a refund/ another cat. from th same tank i bought the other one from. big mistake. i know. it died. again. two days later. i just got a refund laast night. my LFS is usually really good. im thinking it was just a bad batch. any ideas? water parameters were normal.

mr.waffles1842 said:
so i thought, after 2 months, it was time for some more corys. i picked up another cory for my school a week ago. it died the next morning. i waited 2 weeks and got a refund/ another cat. from th same tank i bought the other one from. big mistake. i know. it died. again. two days later. i just got a refund laast night. my LFS is usually really good. im thinking it was just a bad batch. any ideas? water parameters were normal.

What are your acclimation procedures?

What are your acclimation procedures?

Float the bag in water for 15 minutess. then cut the bag for air, and add tank water. let float for another 15, then repeat. this is all done with the light off btw. do it one more time, then use a net to gently lower it into my aquarium...

I have had the same issue with other schooling fish as well. What happens with me is that whenever I add another fish to a school singly-ex. a neon tetra, black neon tetra, cory-the one I added seems to waste away. However if you add in three at a time it seems they are more likely to school together. It seems that whenever I add in a single fish to a schooling group in my tank they do not take notice to it so it usually just wastes away. Whenever I add to my schoolers I add in at least three or four at a time to make sure if they don't school together at least they will have company. Sounds more of a behavioral issue than a water paramaters issue.

I have had the same issue with other schooling fish as well. What happens with me is that whenever I add another fish to a school singly-ex. a neon tetra, black neon tetra, cory-the one I added seems to waste away. However if you add in three at a time it seems they are more likely to school together. It seems that whenever I add in a single fish to a schooling group in my tank they do not take notice to it so it usually just wastes away. Whenever I add to my schoolers I add in at least three or four at a time to make sure if they don't school together at least they will have company. Sounds more of a behavioral issue than a water paramaters issue.

If it's dying in one or two days, it shouldn't be a behavioral issue. Being ignored by the school isn't going to kill a fish overnight. If your other fish are fine, I would guess at either stress or poor stock. How long has the LFS had those cories?

--Adeeb

Are you talking to me or the OP, waffles??? I believe they get a shipment in every Thursday, I am not sure. This was about six months ago when I tried to fill my neon tetra school from five to six. I added one...in a week he died. Also tried filling a school of black neons...slowly one wasted away each week. I got two trying to fill in the three black neons I had then.

If it's dying in one or two days, it shouldn't be a behavioral issue. Being ignored by the school isn't going to kill a fish overnight. If your other fish are fine, I would guess at either stress or poor stock. How long has the LFS had those cories?

--Adeeb

about 3 days before i purchased number 1...

Back
Top Bottom