cory cats & cheap gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'd like to add some cory cats to my 55 once things get rolling but have the generic bag gravel. All of the advice I've found on these fish recommend using either smooth sand or smooth gravel but the majority of the pictures I've seen of the fish, they're digging thru the same cheap stuff I have. So, is this stuff okay?
Also, I've seen some recommend setting up a little cory-corner with sand in just one area, but how would you do this?

Gravel should be fine as long as it's not sharp or too large. Most aquarium gravel I've seen isn't sharp. Roll a couple pieces between your palms. If you feel lots of sharp points, it's probably not good.

To make a cory sandbox, sink a shallow bowl so the rim is at gravel level and fill it with sand. You may can cut down the sides of a Cool Whip bowl, or if you're feeling ambitious, make a box out of glass or acrylic.

To make a cory sandbox, sink a shallow bowl so the rim is at gravel level and fill it with sand. You may can cut down the sides of a Cool Whip bowl, or if you're feeling ambitious, make a box out of glass or acrylic.

That's cool, thanks. I'd been thinking about using plexi-glass to make a little corner section to form a box with one corner of the tank but you're idea will help to preserve my sanity! But how do you keep the sand in the sandbox?

Yes just watch them carefully. If you notice their fins or barbels are getting damaged I would remove them or swap substrates. If they lose their barbels they can't eat!

But how do you keep the sand in the sandbox?

You'll inevitably lose some sand into the gravel, but most of lost sand will be sucked out of the gravel with the vacuum. Use cheap sand from the hardware store. Quickrete Play sand (tan) or Medium sand (white) are both about $3 for 50lb at my local Home Depot. It's a lot of sand, but it's cheaper than "aquarium" sand at the LFS, even if you throw most of it away. A 5-gallon bucket should hold a full bag of sand for storage.

Thanks, feeling better about getting these little guys. For feeding, I know they'll go after what the other fish allow to make it to the bottom but for the main part of their diet (don't know what it will be, thinking about Hikari carnivore pellets) I thought I might drop the food down a little tube onto the sandbox. Would this help them or would it make any difference? Also, can I mix species, possibly false juliis & peppers?

ive got 4 juliis and not sure what the other is... its kinda peppered looking with a big black dot right in front of its tail on each side... they all get along like theyre best friends.

I would think so because they're both/all corydoras.Probably make the "sandbox" a little bigger(easier to get the food on the sand).

Back
Top Bottom