Cory cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got a lovely blue betta, dragon!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

While far from ideal, 6.5 gallons for 2 corys is not over stocked. That is more water per fish than a 10 with 6 corys. If the water is kept clean it will not stunt their growth. If you saw some of the small tanks used by Ian Fuller (cory guru on Planet Catfish), you might rethink some of the above statements. He has 52 or 54 tanks in a 7' x 9' shed. Those tanks house over 80 species. Some are very small and sit on the rims of others. These tanks also house some very expensive fish.

I have my 2 corys in my 54 litre tank now

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

While far from ideal, 6.5 gallons for 2 corys is not over stocked. That is more water per fish than a 10 with 6 corys. If the water is kept clean it will not stunt their growth. If you saw some of the small tanks used by Ian Fuller (cory guru on Planet Catfish), you might rethink some of the above statements. He has 52 or 54 tanks in a 7' x 9' shed. Those tanks house over 80 species. Some are very small and sit on the rims of others. These tanks also house some very expensive fish.

If you can't keep the fish in a proper school size because of size of the tank, it's overstocked. It's got more to do with just volume of water per fish, which is arguably irrelevant. A density of one fish per gallon can easily be far from overstocked.

Seeing someone keeping their fish in tiny tanks will never make me rethink the way I keep my fish or how I recommend others do it, no matter who they are. It's just not enjoyable to watch fish sit there. I find that they act more like the fish that they are when they are given space and numbers, and so my advice is going to be geared towards getting the most enjoyment from watching them.

Sure you can keep fish in tiny little tanks in improper school sizes - I just can't understand why anyone would want to. Obviously Mr. Fuller gets something out of keeping a shed full of specimen containers. If that sounds appealing to anyone then by all means have at it - we all are in this hobby for different reasons. But if your goal is to watch the fish swim around and be fish, then you have to provide more.

Back
Top Bottom