Cory Davidsandsi's 2 dead 1 to go :<

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terathan33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone I recently purchased 3 cory davidsandsi on sunday. They were fine monday, tues, but today wednesday I come home and find two upsidedown dead :<. The tank has been up for about 2 months with no fish deaths. Should I be worried about my fish?

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.). Fish are dead. They were swimming around and acting normal for the most part yesterday. I didn't get to observe them too much because I had just got them on sunday(3 days ago).

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Ammonia reads at about 0.
Nitrites read at 0.
Nitrates: don't have a test kit.
Temp right now is 80 it may fluctuate between 80-85 degrees depending on the weather.
PH: 7.2
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
36 gallons planted tank set up for about two months now. No deaths. 4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
I am using two aquaclear, 50 gallon filters.
Rated for up to a 30-50 gallon aquarium 200 gph.
I use two because my plants sometimes shed.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
Have 2 clown loaches (2.5 inches), a clown pleco(2 inch), 3 pictus catfish(2.5inch), and 6 ottos(1-1.5 inch), 2 tetras(2 inch). Plus for the past three days 3 cory davidsandsi's about (1 1/2 - 2inches).

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I do about 30% water change weekly w/ a python and gravel vac.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
3 days acclimated by adding water to the bag they were in slowly over an hour or two and then letting them loose in my tank.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Nothing but the new fish.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? They are fed, shrimp pellets, blood worms, brine shrimp, fish flakes and vegs. The last three days though( the days I have the corys I only fed blood worms and fish flakes)

Cories are super sensitive I've come to learn...the hard way. Changes and swings in pH and temperature, as well as other water conditions are not good for them. I'm going to take a guess that your LFS recently got them in, you bought them, and your water parameters are alot different than theirs. The stress might have done them in.

It's almost impossible to tell with no external signs, but the general consensus is that this isn't too uncommon with cories.

Sorry for your trouble. HTH

hmm thanks, the one survivor seems to be ok. Should i bother getting more davidsandsi's? My one left seems lonly now :<

If you are not seeing any aggression towards the cory's from the other fish, definately go and get another 2 or 3 (I'd say 3 planning on possible death). They do like to school and are very interesting to watch...

One question though, what is your substrate? It's possible, but unlikely, that a sharp gravel might cause damage to them as they feed/swim around. I know my cory (only one due to aggression) filter feeds by picking up the PFS in his mouth and shooting it out near the gills. I would imagine this would be very damaging if the substrate was sharp.

Back
Top Bottom