Cory questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtHomeWithTwins

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two questions:
1. I have two panda cories and they spend alot of time picking through my plants, almost like their eating or looking for food. Are they hungry? Do they eat algae or whatever might be on plants?

2. Kind of along the same lines, does anyone know a cleaner way to feed cories? I feed them shrimp pellets and i seems like 90% just falls into the gravel and they cant get to it... Plus it makes a huge mess!!

Thanks!

Corys are consummate browsers. If they're not resting they are sifting around for snacks. This is normal. Sounds like your gravel is awfully coarse which is bad for food getting down too low in it. Try a sand or finer substrate and it will make keeping the tank clean easier. Plants would do better also. OS.

Normal behavior and Hikari sinking wafers. The wafers hold together requiring the fish to tear some off. Of course, if you're up for a project, I'm sure sand or very fine gravel would help but that's a project best done with an uninterrupted four hour window. Might not be feasible for everyone.

It is normal behavior for them to sniff around constantly searching for food. I have 8 of them and they are always doing this. They really need to be kept in larger groups because they are very social.
If your pellets fall between the gravel then your gravel is too large, like OS pointed out. Corys really need a sand substrate.

They will be getting a new home soon... I have a 55 gallon im going to set up once the tax man gives me some $!! I think im going to do part gravel and part sand.

I would suggest going FULL sand. I had mixed feelings, however my corys and my African dwarf frogs love it! My frogs dig holes and my corys sift through the sand all day! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392953371.713791.jpg

I have two questions:
1. I have two panda cories and they spend alot of time picking through my plants, almost like their eating or looking for food. Are they hungry? Do they eat algae or whatever might be on plants?

2. Kind of along the same lines, does anyone know a cleaner way to feed cories? I feed them shrimp pellets and i seems like 90% just falls into the gravel and they cant get to it... Plus it makes a huge mess!!

Thanks!

1, Cory are foragers, sifting through the substrate to find food, the barbels help taste where the food is. Then they sift through it ejecting non food stuff through the gill flap (operculum). Clown loach, carp and lots of other bottom feeders all feed in a similar way. Sand is normally recommended to cover a good portion of the substrate, you can have a mixed grade with no problems, just ensure its a high % of sand.
All fish will always seem to be hungry, don't worry it's a natural response for fish, trying not to over feed is one of the more difficult things to achieve as a fish keeper, the temptation to feed is big, it's nice watching them eat.

2, sinking catfish pellets. 100% will fall to the bottom. Absolutely perfect. The Cory is considered a bottom feeder, that's where you want the food to go.

As a temporary measure you can shift some gravel back to reveal the glass. Or I actually quite like the saucer idea. If the barbels start eroding act quickly. Redness will give you plenty of warning time, normally treat fish with external bacterial remedy at this stage. As far as I know they do regenerate the barbel.

I wouldn't mix the substrates either. I think it would be harder to maintain than all one or the other unless you have a physical barrier of some sort between the zones.

We're remodeling and I am already plotting using the teardown and reset of the tank required for installing new flooring to make the switch to sand. So, I think you should go for it in the new tank. I was cautioned about it being harder to clean if you have algae issues but I know the bottom dwellers would love it and the algae seems to be well controlled now.

I wouldn't mix the substrates either. I think it would be harder to maintain than all one or the other unless you have a physical barrier of some sort between the zones.

We're remodeling and I am already plotting using the teardown and reset of the tank required for installing new flooring to make the switch to sand. So, I think you should go for it in the new tank. I was cautioned about it being harder to clean if you have algae issues but I know the bottom dwellers would love it and the algae seems to be well controlled now.

Having a mixed grade will help prevent compaction and stagnation.
Or have a thin layer.
Or stir it up from time to time.
I know which one is easiest to maintain.

The main issues with sand, it gets in the filter, not good.
You suck it out when cleaning so needs to be replenished from time to time.
It blocks the u bend under your sink.

It is ideal for the fish though.

A lot of places, planted systems in particular, state the use of mixed grade substrates, just something to consider.
Physical barriers don't really work 100% on day one they look ok. After week 52, things are less well defined. Not even 52 weeks more like 16 weeks and counting. . . .(this time around)

Back
Top Bottom