corydoras and botia compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just read something in one of the species profile pages that corys and loaches don't mix. This is disturbing to me because they are two of my favorite genera of tropical aquarium fish and I have kept several together for months with no noticable difficulties. The website is: http://www.petresources.net/fish/catfish/catfish.html

I would like to know what some of you think of this issue. I personally haven't observed problems but I'm a novice.

I've got 3 YoYo loaches 2" and less, 3 clown loaches that are all about 2", and a Swartz's cory. I wish to get a Sterbai cory and I have a three-lined cory in the QT with fin rot. I'm gonna get a bigger tank one day when some of my fish get bigger.

I have 2 horseface loaches in my 20 long with 3 corydoras. Every once in a while, only during feeding time, I see the loaches chase the corys away.
I have never seen hostility or nipping or fighting between them.

They even rest side by side on the gravel sometimes.

cory & loach

I've observed that behavior as well. Although my loaches don't really bother other fish. Thanks for the reply.

In some of the various forums , I've read of people complaining about loaches picking out the eyes of cories . Sorry , but I don't have any first hand knowledge .

my yo-yo loaches have never bothered my cory's. I have a couple clown loaches now and only at feeding time is there any 'problem' and even then if I make sure I spread out the sinking tabs, there's no problem. Clowns are just fat pigs.

I have not had problems with clowns or yoyos. Hora loaches are another thing. I have them in several tanks for snail control and they chase every thing in the tank. I would never buy another one. :(

Keep 3 clowns and about 9 corydoras, have never had any problem with nipping or abuse. I too notice the similar pushing away at feeding time, but I spread the food out so that everyone gets a chance to get at it.

Back
Top Bottom