Cory's and gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnt2k14

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey gang,
Been planning a tank and want to include corys. If I use a gravel substrate, the common Pet* kind, will it damage the cory's barbels?
-J

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have gravel in my cory tank and it works just fine. Make sure the gravel is smooth with no rough edges. I'd also recommend keeping your gravel clean. There was a period of time where I neglected my tank and the barbels got infected and many cories lost them. Once I shaped up with clean water and clean gravel, the grew back. Took a couple months but most of them did regain the barbels.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, Rad.

Most of the gravel I've looked at in the stores is painted and that coating gives the gravel a smooth look. Guessing gravel from a construction supply source might be the rough kind that would hurt them?

-John

Corydoras

Hey gang,
Been planning a tank and want to include corys. If I use a gravel substrate, the common Pet* kind, will it damage the cory's barbels?
-J

Hello john...

I've used the regular aquarium pea gravel in my Cory tanks for years. Just avoid sharp substrate or sharp tank decorations and keep the water clean. The Corys will be fine.

B

Thanks, B.

Think I'll stick with the gravel over the sand as long as it won't hurt the Corys.

It's the sharp edges that get barbels into trouble. So long as gravel doesn't have sharp edges it's likely just fine. I had some natural gravel that had quite rounded, smallish grains and both cory and kuhli loach were ok on it, no sign of wear at all to the barbels. Clean is important for sure.. they spend most of their time in contact with it, so having it clean is only common sense.

That video was cute. Thanks. Definitely puts sand back in the running again.

Back
Top Bottom