corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluefire

Aquarium Advice Regular
is it normal for corys to sort of stand up on their pectorial fins lifting their heat off the ground??????

Like this? ;)

4928WEB-20g-corydora.jpg

Though this little guy seems to prefer the "no hands" method.

But yes, it's normal. My corys will stop every so often and just kind of sit there. Yet another random behavior of theirs. :lol:

[center:55805f1d41] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, bluefire! :n00b: [/center:55805f1d41]
It's probably nothing serious. How are the fish acting otherwise? Eating? How long has the tank been set up? How long have you had the cories?

ive had them for a week and a half. they are breathing a bit heavy but otherwise they are fine

my pleco stands up like that once in a while too, seems to be something catfish like to do.

they are breathing a bit heavy but otherwise they are fine
That's not right. What are your water parameters--temp, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates?
Do the cories often go a get a gulp of air from the surface of the water? Are they generally active? Do they eat well? How long has the tank been set up?

water parameters are fine, no ammonia or nitrite nitrate below 5.
they are acting normal eating normal no gulping for air except on rare occasions
tank has been set up for over 3 months and they are generally active
temp is 25

I dunno..my corys often lay on the bottom with their fins out like that pic above - and just as often they lay on their side kind of...

I think they are actually sleeping when they do that - drop some food in and they seem to 'wake up' and start wagging their tails and head for the pellet...

they lay on everything..

and if i sit on a stool in front of the tank they will come up to the glass and lay down and 'look up'... wondering why I havent dropped another pellet in there yet..

I think its normal sounding - but im not a fish expert..

I have a few cories that will lay on an ornament/plant/rock in such a way that their head is held higher than their tail and they sit at an angle.

this behavour i've noticed more in the bronze / albino type more so than some of the other types of cories. The female when full size is naturally shaped to have the curve on the bottom that almost looks 'in the way' they can still sit normally but often choose to sort of balance on it.

Back
Top Bottom