Cost of a Huge Community Tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rileymc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all!

I am only in high school now, and my parents are not gonna let me get more tanks as I already have five (I got two more for educational purposes but they won't budge anymore even though it's out of my own pocket). Here are my tanks and stocking:

20 Gallon High:
- 7 Guppies
- 1 Beautiful Swordtail
- A few Endlers
- 2 Platys
Basically my livebearer tank.

5.5 Gallon Tank
- Probably 60 Guppy/Endler Fry
(Fry raising tank only)

20 Gallon High #2
- 2 German Blue Rams
(Might add some Cardinal Tetras)

20 Gallon Long
- 6 GloFish Tetras
- 8 GloFish Danios
(GloFish Tank)

55 Gallon
- 8 Assorted Mbuna Cichlids
- 6 Yellow Lab Cichlids (4F, 2M)
- I managed to safely sneak in 3 Convict Cichlids (they are doing great, non aggressive with their surroundings)
This is my main display tank.

I love fish so much and will be doing this my entire life. I am already starting to plan out a fish room for when I own my own house for starting in like 12 years.

Like most people with fish rooms I will maybe get some stacked shelving like seen on StevePolandCichlids and others on YouTube. However I do want one huge centerpiece tank (maybe 150-220 gallons?). I want it to be a freshwater tropical tank with a large variety of non agressive and not too large growing community fish (maybe max 4inches or so).

If I create this beautiful and planted aquarium, what should I stock it with, and when the final product is done (tank, stand, equipment, plants/substrate/decor, fish) about how much money would this cost me?

If you have a stocking plan along with a final pricing estimate please do share. I am an upcoming hobbyist in the making!

Thanks everyone!!

Hey all!

I am only in high school now, and my parents are not gonna let me get more tanks as I already have five (I got two more for educational purposes but they won't budge anymore even though it's out of my own pocket). Here are my tanks and stocking:

20 Gallon High:

- 7 Guppies

- 1 Beautiful Swordtail

- A few Endlers

- 2 Platys

Basically my livebearer tank.

5.5 Gallon Tank

- Probably 60 Guppy/Endler Fry

(Fry raising tank only)

20 Gallon High #2

- 2 German Blue Rams

(Might add some Cardinal Tetras)

20 Gallon Long

- 6 GloFish Tetras

- 8 GloFish Danios

(GloFish Tank)

55 Gallon

- 8 Assorted Mbuna Cichlids

- 6 Yellow Lab Cichlids (4F, 2M)

- I managed to safely sneak in 3 Convict Cichlids (they are doing great, non aggressive with their surroundings)

This is my main display tank.

I love fish so much and will be doing this my entire life. I am already starting to plan out a fish room for when I own my own house for starting in like 12 years.

Like most people with fish rooms I will maybe get some stacked shelving like seen on StevePolandCichlids and others on YouTube. However I do want one huge centerpiece tank (maybe 150-220 gallons?). I want it to be a freshwater tropical tank with a large variety of non agressive and not too large growing community fish (maybe max 4inches or so).

If I create this beautiful and planted aquarium, what should I stock it with, and when the final product is done (tank, stand, equipment, plants/substrate/decor, fish) about how much money would this cost me?

If you have a stocking plan along with a final pricing estimate please do share. I am an upcoming hobbyist in the making!

Thanks everyone!
Well, I can't give you details but I can tell you that I started the same way. I had many tanks in high school and then after college and a career with no fish, I retired and built myself a fish house with 20 tanks, the largest of 100 gallons. A tank of 150-200 gallons, with stand is going to cost around $3000, more if acrylic, which I recommend. Then there is the filter, pump, lights, and so on. At least another $500.

For fish, I like Rainbow fish of various kinds - colorful and mellow. Or maybe discus and cardinal tetras. I'd love to have the space for a tank that loage - sounds like a great plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know of a guy who uses tank stands of painted concrete blocks supporting a 2x6 and plywood framed platform for his larger tanks. Blocks are painted black. Sounds ugly, but it actually looks as good (I think, anyway) as my manufactured tank stands. With the blocks and the lumber, a large stand would be less than $75.00 to build.
Aside from buying used , there isn't much way to cut costs with your tanks, but building low-cost stands for your larger tanks can save you quite a bit.

My last 120g[4x2x2] glass aqueon with mega overflows was under $550 brand new.
After that the next most expensive thing is the light IMO [at least s good one].
All the rest is just hard goods easily found on line /on sale over time by the thrifty...

Craigslist. I've seen tanks with everything included at 220g for like 500-600$. Just keep your eyes out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with Toad about craigs list. I see a lot of tanks of all sizes listed. Just be sure it holds water before you buy, and make sure to clean it well after you buy.

Thanks!

I was just looking around on Craigs List just for the fun of it but saw a 125 gallon tank with all equipment included (hood, lighting, stand, canister filter/sump, heaters, substrate, decor) and even some koi are included. It says some are around 16"!

It was priced at $400 and looked like the condition was extremely good! The koi themselves could be sold for more than the tank!

At my LFS they sell 15"+ Koi for $250 each...!

Back
Top Bottom