could 'hiker urchins be scraping coralline off LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read this about some types of urchins, and I've noticed a lot of my previously purple rock is now looking bleached. Thanks.

but.... they also end up passing it through their systems, and it actually will end up spreading the growth of it. Ever Since I added my urchin my corralline growth has skyrocketed.

I have a big black one in the fuge. I am dying to add it to the main.....I dont know though.......

I have two hitchhiker urchins: Spiky purplish ones (what are they, please?), about 1 1/2 inches across. Will these be likely to attack the coralline or anything else in the tank?
(Sorry if I'm hijacking a post: this seemed like a logical place for this question!)

Ya, they poop it out right back into the system. Urchins eating coralline is way overblow.
Try target feeding them some little nori strips. I have had 4 urchins in my system for almost 2 years now, they barely put a dent in the coraline and just love the nori.
Will these be likely to attack the coralline or anything else in the tank?
No worries, just beware of the spines if your can't ID them, some are venomous.

Back
Top Bottom