Could introducing liquid ferts trigger Ich outbreak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahelmes71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started dosing Flourish Excel yesterday for the first time in my 55 gallon tank. I only used 3 capfuls.

Today I was noticing some small white spots of what I guess is ich on the fins/tails of my Rainbows and Congo Tetras. It's possible this was already there and I hadn't noticed, or maybe it is just coincidence.

I thought Ich had to do with temperature changes? I had also heard it can be triggered by stress.

My tank has stayed at a solid 74 degrees this week. Do you think change in water chemistry from introducing the ferts could stress out the fish to cause an outbreak? :confused:

Should I do some partial water changes and add some Rid-Ich? This is a long term tank that has been up and running for about five years. I don't typically see sick fish in there.

Excel probably wouldn't have any effect on a parasitic organism like ich. The only possible explanation is that it somehow stressed an already vulnerable or infected fish, which allowed it to get a foothold. That being said, it's probably a coincidence. You didn't add fish recently by chance did you (within the last month).

The same thing happened to me too I just added stuff for my plants and all of a sudden my fish are showing signs of ich again...Its been gone or so I thought for quite sometime now...What the world?

Back
Top Bottom