Crab gettin big...good or bad crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a few of these...will post pics tonight. They (along with many others) hitchedhiked with my LR.
I have about 2-3 that are gettin pretty big...the have a purplish coloring with dots. They seem to pick at my rocks alot....and have huge claws. Should I try to get rid of them?

A pic would sure help but based on the description I am going with either a porcelain crab or anemone crab. Bolth are reef-safe.

The top pic looks like it may be some species of mythrax, the bottom one, I have no idea. I'd move them to the sump just to be safe.

The top one looks like a mithrax Emerald crab. I`ve seen them many different colors. They are good for eating algea esp. Bubble algea. I forget the tech term for it.. The 2nd one I do not know. Hopefully the experts will write back. Have a good day

i agree with shemp there i have on that is the same as the second pic and so far im trying to find out what it is and i'm leaning toward the stone crab not the florida stone crab but the gulf stone crab more then likely he came on so florida lr and there he be i have on in my sump hate to kill him but he is very distructive i had a good breeding of mollies going on and he ate them all and my thermoter and bubble rod and prefilter so what you going to do he kinda grew on me think of it this way if it is a stone crab grow him big and eat his claws take the left one only so he can grow it back so every 20 to 24 months you got new crab claws to eat :lol:

thats the biggested emeralds ive seen...these are huge...and i have about 3-4 big ones...i have noticed that they pick at the LR
the other one seems to pick at the rock too

Back
Top Bottom