Crabs foiled my trap and took my bottlecap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I set up a mason jar at an angle again in the 55 to trap some crabs, and to weight the bait I just crimped a bud light bottlecap over the food and dropped it in the bottom.

Well, I must not have had it at a steep enough angle, because the crabs took the food AND the bottle cap. Now the cap is gone. They have it somewhere in the tank and I can't find it.

I think bottlecaps are made of soft steel, not aluminum, but I'm wondering if the SW will erode the plating or whatever and dissolve unwanted metals into the tank over time. Probably too small of an item to worry about?

Darn crabs..

The ants from the commercial a few years back have nothing on your crabs when it comes to stealing beer... Sorry bro but I can just see a new louie the lizard type add spot with crabs instead...

Doan

I can't answer your question about effects of the cap on the water quality..

But...

rofl. ARRRGH MATIE! Bring meh back me bottle cap!!

Biologists create artificial reefs by sinking ships off-shore... big METAL ships... hehe I really don't think the corroding metal is that big of a deal. But I'm a newbie so I prolly don't know what I'm talk'n about.

Pain Devine said:
Biologists create artificial reefs by sinking ships off-shore... big METAL ships... hehe I really don't think the corroding metal is that big of a deal.

Agreed... not to mention all of the accidental reefs (airplanes etc) and tanks dumped overboard during ww2 etc.

Probably, that the bottlecap will just get encrusted with crusty reef stuff and be fine.

Yah, the crabs were probably going "Arrgh, Yo ho ho and a bottle cap fulla meat!" as they scuttled away.

a bottle cap on its own may not cause any harm, but in regards to the ships and tanks in the oceans, just keep in mind, that "system" that is the ocean is in the billions of gallons.

(I can already see the decorator crab covered in old bud lables)

dang, that smokes my idea of rolling my 1974 pinto into my tank as an artificial reef.

"don't bump the tank... it could explode!"

My kleptomaniac crabs would probably steal all of the radio buttons and stuff anyway LOL

Good story!! Not to worry you but I remember a guy at my LFS telling me how his son threw in a penny(or maybe a few pennies) in his tank and it killed everything because he couldn't figure out what was wrong. He found the half corroded pennies when he dismantled his entire tank.

errk.. the pennies thing is skary...

especially for us open top folks.

Thankfully my kids are now 6 and they know not to insert foreign objects into the fish tanks.

An update, the crabs brought the bottle cap back out into the open this evening. I have removed it from the tank.

It is rusting at the points (brown rust) .

I think my crabs are hoping that I will fill it up with meat again.

:?

just want you guys to know I just got home from a 15 hour day at work and this one post made my day. I havent stopped laughing since I read the subject line. Now if I didnt have to start all over again in 6 hrs....

Pirate crabs...probaly got a peg leg and an eyepatch on his stalk....Im picturing Mr Crabbs from sponebob now....must ...go...to....bed...

They were just taking the "crabby bag" back to the bachelor pad for a grubbing good time. It was of no use to them when it was empty. Your phone hasn't rang lately asking for any funny food deliveries has it? " a Ill take some shrimp, few clams...Just leave it on the front lawn please wrapped in that funny looking budweiser foil" :D

Back
Top Bottom