Crawfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nshepler

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would like to keep crawfish, I have a spare 10 gal. What are the basics I need to know to get started? I want to know as much as you guys are willing to tell.

May the force be with you.

Since you already know the basics I wont bore you with them. You need a large filter I run no less than double the size of the tank crayfish are very dirty animals. I also read a under gravel filter is a good idea but I just bought one and got it installed so it's a developing story with me. They're not sensitive to water quality obviously keep it clean like you would any tank but unless you have extremely bad water no need to age It like you would shrimp just condition it then fill. Mine loved shrimp pellets but I have read they will eat just about anything plants included. I can't recommend sandy bottoms enough there always pushing it or moving it some how. Crays like to play houdini alot of people keep arround 2 inches of space between the water line and top of the tank or set it up so nothing runs up and out of the water mine climbed the air hose frequently it was fun to watch luckily I had read that tip and had it set up so they couldn't escape. All my experience is with native crays to this day my cray has been the hardest aquatic animal I Have lost he got eaten after a moult. So tank mates are important nothing that will ever be able to fit him in there mouth with a tank that small he probably needs to be alone maybe some tetras. Keep in mind anything they can catch they will eat it isn't easy for them to catch fish but the're persistent. Leave the molt in the tank the cray will eat it if its in there for a while and he doesn't eat it remove it. Mine always ate his but I read some don't every time. That's about it I hope you enjoy your cray fish mine is what got me into invertebrates.

Thank you so much, I think I will get some natives down from my pond. I've always liked them and now I have an empty tank so I'm gonna try it out.

Thank you so much, I think I will get some natives down from my pond. I've always liked them and now I have an empty tank so I'm gonna try it out.

No problem, just check your local laws in some states it's illegal to take aquatic wildlife to keep it in a personal aquarium. If your a fishermen some states will count fish in your aquarium towards your limit.

Back
Top Bottom