crayfish + comet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tostada

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a 10 gal. with nothing in it but a blue lobster (crayfish). He's not really very aggressive -- at least not when I feed him every day.

I was thinking of something else to put in there, and I could put some feeder guppies in there, but I really like koi, and sarasa comets look a lot like koi, so I was thinking of putting one of them in there. Petsmart has a sign that say they get up to 6-8", so if I get a small one I could keep it for quite awhile, but I've seen other places saying they can get over a food long.

I guess I could just try sticking a regular feeder comet in there and see if the crayfish eats it. I'm not really particularly concerned about that, though. I'm just wondering if I'd have to worry about a comet attacking the crayfish after he molted.

Not that it wouldn't make a mess if he did eat a decent size comet... It'd probably take him a couple days to finish it.

I was thinking of something else to put in there, and I could put some feeder guppies in there, but I really like koi, and sarasa comets look a lot like koi, so I was thinking of putting one of them in there. [/quote]
The blue will eventually eat it. If you like it, why would you risk that?

Tostada said:
I guess I could just try sticking a regular feeder comet in there and see if the crayfish eats it. I'm not really particularly concerned about that, though. I'm just wondering if I'd have to worry about a comet attacking the crayfish after he molted.
Yes, the cray would need a few good hides to be safe. I was at a fish store yesterday and just saw a grewsome site. There was a 3" goldfish, guts hanging out, still trying to swim in a tank of small 2" crays. There was a dead one some were eating and another Half a goldfish still alive and trying to swim. Seriously, HALF a fish.... That is just too cruel! IF you feel the need to feed live fish, at least make them small ones they can kill right away.

Tostada said:
It'd probably take him a couple days to finish it.
And fouling the water in the process..
Not trying to be mean, just honest.

do you have a spot to put this soon to be 6-8" commet when he outgrows the tank? commets are also shoaling fish.

i agree with musket, keep the fish small, its really painful to watch them snag a fish and eat it. craws dont wait for the fish to die sometimes either.

if you saw my thread in the lounge, i caught a praying mantis, and after he ate many small crickets (like 20+ if a few days) i tried a few big ones. while i didnt see the mantis get the big cricket, i was told it was terrible because the mantis was really slow about killing it (mantis also start eating even if the prey isnt dead)

every other thread on this thing about craws says never keep them with fish, any fish, ever. unless you want them eatten or injured. most fish sleep at the bottom as well...

Comets generally get about 14". A store that says 6-8" is probably dependant on the fish dying before people find out better. Don't get any goldfish. The general stocking rule for goldfish is 10 gallons for 3" of goldie.

I would say something really fast a friend of mine has a 10 gallon with a blue cray and about 7-8 neon tetras and they cray has yet to catch any of them. He is quite content eating hikari pellets that sink to the bottom.

clubsuperduty said:
I would say something really fast a friend of mine has a 10 gallon with a blue cray and about 7-8 neon tetras and they cray has yet to catch any of them. He is quite content eating hikari pellets that sink to the bottom.

sorry, somehow i doubt that. neons sleep at the bottom at night, and generally arent usually fast unless they see me with a net

hc8719 said:
sorry, somehow i doubt that. neons sleep at the bottom at night, and generally arent usually fast unless they see me with a net

Well they havent been messed with So I dont know what to tell you. He has an electric blue cray not a red cray like it makes a difference anyways, but they are still in the tank and doing fine as of last week aws the last time I talked to him. I know he has had them for at least a month or a little over a month and they are very content in the same tank. I am not saying that they arent going to get eaten sometime but unless he is replacing them as they get eaten and doesnt say anything there is always 7-8 in his tank.

hc8719 said:
clubsuperduty said:

Just because lots of people say that crayfish will eat anything you put in the tank doesn't necessarily make it true. If it is true, it can take a very long time.

I had swords in the tank with the crayfish for several weeks, and the only one he ate seemed to have kind of fungus and wasn't moving too fast ... and this was when I hadn't fed the crayfish for 2 days.

It's not that they don't try to eat everything in there. Mine's pretty clever about climbing up on a tall rock, waiting patiently with his pincers out for a fish to swim by looking the other direction ... but he's just not fast enough.

I can certainly believe that neons or danios could make it a long time.

Whatever with the crawfish, what he'll eat is what he'll eat. You still can't put any goldfish variety in a 10 gallon tank.

Yes I agree I would stay away rom any goldfish for a 10 gallon tank far to small. What about a crayfish and a golden wonder killi? they stay near the top always and would be a cool looking tank as well. Hmm I might have to set one up as I have been wanting one of the fish for a while now. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom